Milsurp Powder

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Guest, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

mustang7513
    (2/13/03 9:23:25 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Milsurp Powder
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have seen what I belive is surplus military powder for sale on a web site, just wish I could recal which one right now. Anyway, it refers to it as "virgin". What is "virgin" powder?

Also, I have heard milsurp powder is not a good way to go, but it sure is a good price. What do you all think, is this stuff okay to use?
    Things of quality have no fear of time.

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/13/03 10:01:05 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Milsurp Powder
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Virgin" powder means it wasn't once loaded, then broken down and dumped out of the case for resale. This is powder that never got loaded by the government ammunition makers. You didn't specify what type of powder it is, so it's a little hard to say whether it's worth the price or is good stuff, or not.
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

mustang7513
    (2/13/03 10:08:43 pm)
    Initially I am looking for powder for 30-06 because of how much I go through. Here is the add I was looking at.

WC 852-Virgin 30-06 US Government Rifle Ball powder, Use H414 loading data to work up all loading data , 8#-$64.00. This powder is slower than H414 , Virgin Stock

What do you think?

rayra
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/14/03 12:11:58 am)
    $8 / pound is a very good price.
    Only concern is how it's been stored / how old it is.

Certainly worth trying a batch, go for it and tell us how it works out!

Rich

mustang7513
    (2/14/03 12:23:12 am)
    Hi rayra,

Heard from some guys on another board that say the milsurp powder is great as long as you watch your loads and start at minimum and work up from there. Said they have bought from this source and highly recommend him. I will be giving it a try. Have sent him an email asking for S&H cost as I don't know if the HAZMAT charges are included and to see if he has any powder suitable for .30 carbine. Weird, live ammo by the thousands of rounds can be shipped to my door with no problem, but the same powder not in a live round is considered HAZMAT... HMMMM something is not right. Will order once I hear back from him and will try it out and post how it works.

Edited by: mustang7513 at: 2/14/03 12:24:14 am

1badassmagnum
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/19/03 12:30:32 pm)
    gibrass.com

has many types of surplus powder for between$50-$70 per 8 pound keg.there is a hazmat fee of $20 placed on orders up to 3 kegs and only a $5 charge for 4 keg orders.I buy from jeff regularly and order 4 8 pound jugs, 2 wc820 and 2 wc820f.
    the shipping is reasonable,and the powder lasts for months.very good results for me,and the data jeff provides is right on usually.reduce and work up for safety.

mustang7513
    (2/19/03 11:54:16 pm)
    Thanks for the info. Looks like a very good value. I will be talking to them when I am ready to order next.

rayra
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/20/03 12:02:30 am)
    sounds good so far. now I need to find a similar bargain for my .30-06 loadings - $17 for a pound of IMR 3031 is 'ok', but sure would be nice to save a few bucks.
    Rich

blowsomethingup
    (2/21/03 8:55:02 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del www:/gibrass.com
    wc852 and wc852f can be used for 30-006 use imr 3031 or imr 4895 data.reduce and work up.

www:/gibrass.com