The Firearms Forum banner

Mini 14 - parkerize? syn stock?

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Helix_FR 
#1 ·
hey guys

I have been researching mini 14's for a couple days because my girlfriend inherited one from her father and I was thinking of upgrading it and refurbishing it... Would it be worth it to have it taken apart and parkerized - its a used 30 year old gun...? a local shop does it for $220.

The mini 14 is a 183 series so I guess it was made in '83 sometime. I was also thinking of replacing the wood with a synthetic stock so that the wood could be kept nice and it would be lighter for her to carry. Is there a big weight difference? I was looking at the RamLine and the Hogue...

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/81...ruger-mini-14-mini-30-pillar-bed-rubber-black

Also looking at a barrel stabilizer and maybe some night sights/better sights? Tritium? Also a flash hider. It'd be nice to find a combo FH and front night sight... does someone make that?

thanks guys

#2 ·
Age doesn't really mean anything. Mine was made in '79, and is in fine shape. Unless it's beat to death, or you just want it parked, I don't know why you would need to parkerize it.

How big is your girl? The Mini has a short stock. They actually make an adapter that replaces the buttplate and adds an inch to the length. The synthetic stocks are full-size. Women, normally being smaller than men with shorter arms, she might find the wood stock more comfortable than the synthetics. I would see if I could find one locally, to hold and try, before mail-ordering one.

#3 · (Edited)
I really like the Hogue overmold stock.
It just holds 'perfect'.
They are currently being integrated into
my favorites...as fast as my wallet allows.

Another thing you may wish to consider....
an adjustable gas block.
Really changes the versatility.
And if you save brass, you won't have to
chase it down in the next county !!!
I will look for a link to post......

Generation #3 Adjustable Gas Block
http://www.accuracysystemsinc.com/index.php

scroll down to the 'block'
and browse their site while you're there.

#5 ·
Not sure why you want to park it either. Bluing it would be about the same cost unless its a rusty mess. Meprolight make a night sight for them. You have to remove the whole front sight base. most flash hiders will be clamp on since the barrel is not threaded but honestly I dont like the way they look and most of them integrate the front sight into them so the night sight option may be hard unless you have the barrel threaded.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.