Mini 14 question

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by cjh7819, Aug 11, 2009.

1. cjh7819

cjh7819 New Member

Neighbor gave me a mini 14 that is jammed. Bolt won't open just locked up.
    She didn't know if its got a round in it or not. I told her I would see what I could do to get it working again.
    I have very little expierence with these I've only shot one about 10 times and that was it.
    Anybody have any Ideas what I can try to get the bolt unlocked.

Thanks
  2. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

What do you mean jammed? I once had a mini 14 just lock up on me from years of just sitting up. I could not pull the slide assembly back. If you take the stock off you will see where the slide assembly meets the gas pipe. This may be where you are having your problem. If you get rust there it can seize on you. This happened to me before. I simply forced it open. I then lubed as required. I don't know if that is your problem. I would take the stock off if possible and investigate.

You also really need to know if there is a bullet in the chamber. Was the rifle just stored? Or was this something that recently jammed on a visit to the range?

Be careful whatever you do.

Let us know what happens
  3. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

The Mini-14 has a rotating bolt that locks the bolt lugs into the receiver when the bolt is fully closed. This has occurred on my Mini on occasions, but is no big deal. If the gun hasn't been lubricated recently, it's a tight fit and it's a little tough to get the bolt to open. Proper lubrication of the bolt is key in avoiding this situation.

If you think there's a bullet loaded in the chamber, remove any magazine installed, make sure that the safety is on (fully back into the trigger guard) and be sure to keep it pointed away from yourself and everyone else. Then Spray some WD-40, Break-Free or Liquid Wrench lubricant on the end of the bolt nearest the barrel and let it sit and soak-in for about an hour.

Now with your left hand down on the bolt handle open palm and your right hand on the stock in the normal position (but not touching the trigger) bring the rifle butt down abruptly on a solid surface allowing your left hand to push back on the bolt as it impacts. That should pop the bolt open for you.

I have a rubber butt pad on my rifle stock so bringing it down on a hard surface won't hurt it, you might consider protecting the butt plate if the rifle you're working with doesn't have a pad on it.
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2009
  4. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

If snakedriver's suggestion does not work, tap on the bolt handle with a rubber mallet after you have squirted "Break Free" in all the nooks and crannys you can find.. Gradually tap harder and harder until it opens. You will not hurt the rifle, so don't be afraid to give it a good firm tap if it won't open. You can also place a block of wood on the bolt handle and tap the wood block with a hammer.
  5. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

I have had mine jam like this too with a spent round in the chamber. I took the Mag out sprayed it down with liquid wrench and smacked the cocking arm with a rubber mallet. Most jams of this nature happens with a spent round in the chamber. However since you are not the one who fired it and do not know weater it is a spent round or a live round fallow snakes advise. If it is a hard jam then you may have to git it a real good whack with the mallet.
  6. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

if the bolt is locked fully into battery, i would take it and shoot it to see if it has a live round or not. if it does and it is locked hard enough that the action wont cycle, it will not hurt the gun. but then you know for sure. in my opinion this would be safer than working on a gun that is loaded.

~john
  7. cjh7819

cjh7819 New Member

Thank you all for the advice. Luckily the gun wasn't loaded. I did as snakedriver said and it was just rusty in the locking lugs. My bet is that the gun has sat for a while because it has not been taken care of very well. There is surface rust starting all over. Dosen't look like it is pitted yet except for a spot on the barrel.
    I am in the process of taking the stock off and cleaning it up. Bunch of crud down in the action as well. Hopefully 0000 steel wool will get the rust off and a degreaser and small brush will take care of the gunk, then a lite oiling and hopefully it will look presentable again.

Thanks again
    CJ
  8. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

I'm glad you got it open and no one got hurt in the process. Clean it up good and make sure the bolt is lubricated real well. The area where the bolt lugs lock into the receiver should be lubed with something like graphite or something that won't gunk it up. As the gun is used some and it gets well broken in it won't be so likely to lock-up. Mini's are a hoot to shoot, take it to the range and have some fun with it.:)
  9. wabryan1

wabryan1 New Member

I would use brass wool instead of steel wool. Old Indian trick. Put a 1" dowel on the charging handle. Stand the gun up. Then kick the rod down. The weight and momentum will cycle the bolt. It is much better than hitting it w/ a hammer.