Mini-14 vs Remington 7400

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by CountryGunsmith, Feb 23, 2003.

1. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

Bagoosh
    (9/13/01 10:07:43 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All mini 14 v rem 7400
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    What are your opinions on the better guns. i would be getting the rem in 308 and the mini comes in 223. i dont want a mini30. main concern is accuracy at 100 and 100+ yards. i do like the mag cap of the mini but would sacrifice if the accuracy of the rem is much better. give me lots of info, bullet flight, max eff range, stopping power, fun to shoot, moa, etc.

thanks guys

LIKTOSHOOT
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (9/13/01 10:56:20 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: mini 14 v rem 7400
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Neither.....
    I could be wrong......Nah!

the real fredneck
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/14/01 6:51:13 am)
    it's kinda an apples and oranges comparison if you were comparing a mini vs. a M1A, H&K, FN/FAL, etc. that would be one thing but the 7400 is a semi-auto hunting rifle not designed for military service or use or is it a question of which is the better round 223 vs 308?

warpig883
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/14/01 9:53:41 pm)
    M1 Garand.
    I fear we have awaked a sleeping giant and filled it with a terrible resolve. Jap. Admiral Yamamota directly after Pearl Harbor.
  2. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

Redux

Bagoosh
    (9/14/01 5:12:19 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All More specific question from below??
    I am looking to purchase a new rifle. The main uses will be range shooting and home defense (if ever neccessary, god forbid). The choices I am considering are Mini-14 stainless synth $395(i like the military surplus rounds .223 .308 30-06) , remington 7400 in 308 $366, and savage 10fp tactical 308 $360. I know these are on the opposite ends of the spectrum - S/A short range, S/A Hunting, and Long Range tactical. I really prefer accurracy over mag cap, but i am not the best shot in the world so 2'' moa and 1'' moa prob wont make that much of a difference. Also, if i had to defend myself, i would hate to be loading internal mags over and over I think my choice would be the savage and have it modified to accept M1A magazines. I dont even know if that is possible or how expensive it would be??? I am looking for advice from all of you who have different types of guns. What would you prefer to have, if you could have only one. Also, i can get the savage in 223, what do you think is better. I have a burris 3x9 power scope that i like and would put on whatever i get.

Thanks alot

Remember to pray for those who fell first in these beginning days of conflict.

rayra
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/14/01 5:31:10 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: More specific question from below??
    (whoops - double post)

Edited by: rayra at: 9/14/01 6:31:45 pm

rayra
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/14/01 5:31:23 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: More specific question from below??
    If you're really talking about home defense, the LAST thing you should be spraying around is high-powered rifle rounds.

You need something that WON'T go through 3 or 4 interior walls, and your neighbor's house too.

You need something with spread. Something that won't overpenetrate. A shotgun. 12ga. 18.5" barrel (or interchangeable barrels, a la Mossberg 500). Heavy birdshot followed by a couple of 00 shells.
    Maybe a Mossberg 590 for 8+1 capacity.

Rich

MO JENKINS
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/14/01 8:50:28 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: More specific question from below??
    bagoosh,
    Don't spend a ton of money or time customizing etc, etc.
    Go out and find an old 870 in almost knew condition, should run you about $175-225. Have a smith cut the barrel to 18 1/2" and buy a +2 mag ext (choate or scattergun tech). Remove the stupid white spacers from the buttpad and P.G. cap and you've got one hell of a nasty weapon. Then it's time for the fun part, just practice, practice, practice. Now, if you want to put some money into the gun you can always upgrade the bead to a ghost ring setup or put on a 1.5X scope. Just my .02!
    Have fun buddy,
    MO JENKINS

warpig883
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/14/01 9:48:09 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: More specific question from below??
    Bagoosh, I have the Savage .308 tactical, it is a very accurate weapon but is not one of the Savage models that accepts drop out mags. Have you thought about an M1 Garand? Bolt action is not really a way to go for close range defense.
    I fear we have awaked a sleeping giant and filled it with a terrible resolve. Jap. Admiral Yamamota directly after Pearl Harbor.