1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Mini-14

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by warpig, Feb 24, 2003.

1. warpig

warpig Guest

Cop369
    (1/10/03 4:55:03 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Mini-14
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I'm almost saved up to buy my Mini-14 that i want. I just want some opinions on it before i actually get it, some people tell me that it is a good gun, but today, a co-worker asked me why am i getting it. He said you cant shoot anything with it, he said put a can 25 yards out, you cant hit it. Then he suggested AR15.(cant afford that)

whiskey101
    (1/10/03 6:24:22 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Mini-14
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I bought one and sold it. It would hit a can at 25 yards every shot. It would not hit a can at 100 yards every shot even if it was locked in a vice. It did not jam, and it looked nice.

My buddy has one that is accurate as hell, sub-MOA all day...AS LONG AS THE BARREL DOES NOT GET TOO HOT!

The design of the mini is flawed IMHO. It is a fun gun and I would buy another if I wanted a .223 semi-loader. But you will not get one to shoot as well as a custom AR-15.
    So he cocked both his pistols, spit in the dirt, and walked out in to the street.

rayra
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/11/03 2:48:45 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Mini-14
    Cop369, never listen to the clown who told you that, about firearms, ever again.

and same goes at 100yds.

Don't have any trouble with accuracy with mine, they are very good quality, and they are at least as accurate as 90% of shooters are capable of being.

Rich

GroovyTed1
    (1/11/03 8:20:51 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del mini-14
    Cop,

Here is a site with lots of mini-14 stuff:

www.perfectunion.com/forums

Then click on the 'mini-14 talk' link. There are lots of threads about accurizing a mini-14, and tons of other mini-14 stuff. Some of those guys have their minis super accurate.

I have a mini-14 RR and I love it. May not be the most accurate thing, but it is fun to shoot, and it takes down real easy... -gt

noital2
    (1/12/03 12:04:45 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del If you can get it used, for $300, and dont plan
    on putting it to any serious use, it's ok. Reliably functioning, hi cap mags for it are hard to find and expensive, tho. Its iron sights suck, and the non ranch rifle scope mounts aren't much. Beware USA and similar type mags for it. They are junk. If you can get them for $10 each, and are an accomplished smith, you might be able to make them work. At these prices, you won't get hurt when (not if ) you decide to sell it. Don't, however, put $700 into it, scope, and mags. You will lose $300 if you do.

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/13/03 12:58:47 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: If you can get it used, for $300, and dont plan
    Mini-14 sucks......I don`t care what anyone says!!!!
    Consider saving some extra money and getting an AR15.

LTS

Tac401
    Administrator
    (1/14/03 11:12:47 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: If you can get it used, for $300, and dont plan
    Cop,

I have nothing against the Mini-14/AKA-AC556, but as
    LTS has said, in my opinion you'll get what your looking
    for, and more out of an M-4 Bushmaster or Colt M-4,
    especiallly if your looking to deploy it as a possible squad,
    tactical weapon.

Tac401
    TFF VMBB Email Tac

Cop369
    (1/15/03 5:09:09 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Ordered It
    I went ahead with the mini-14(ranch), ordered it yesterday. Cant wait to get it next week.

whiskey101
    (1/15/03 7:28:22 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Ordered It
    Let us know how it goes. I sure would like to have another, but the first one left a real bad taste
    ***** NOTE: The above statement is my opinion; please feel free to share it. However, it is not meant as a required replacement for your opinion. If you do not agree with my opinion, form your own. *****

So he cocked both his pistols, spit in the dirt, and walked out in to the street.

Edited by: whiskey101 at: 1/15/03 7:28:54 pm

rayra
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/15/03 8:43:36 pm)
    (shrug) Faulting a mini-14 by comparing it to a custom AR is like saying "my pickup doesn't make a good race car".

Different tools, different abilities. Even if they do chamber the same cartridge.

You want sub-MOA long range (500yds+) accuracy, shouldn't be starting with a Mini-14.
    You want a weapon that's affordable and good enough for hitting the targets it was designed for (coyote, fox, rabbit) at ranges <300yds, buy a mini-14.

You want sob-MOA / long range accuracy, then get a 20" bbl AR variant, or better yet, a nice bolt-action.

Right Tool for the Right Job is all I'm saying.

Rich

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/15/03 9:07:57 pm)
    Considering that the mini-14`s average MOA is over FOUR INCHES @ 100 yards, gonna be a big rabbit/fox/coyote at 300 yards, as most shoot to the FIVE INCH MOA @100 yards.

LTS

rayra
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/15/03 11:33:31 pm)
    and?

you (and others) seem to keep faulting it for something it's never aimed (pardon the pun) to be.
    Rich

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (1/16/03 5:49:59 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Ordered It
    What is the right job for the mini 14? I would never use it on coyote or fox where pinpoint presicion is a must to avoid pelt damage. Much of the coyote and fox shooting done in this area is done at long ranges (300+). i don't think the avaerage mini 14 is capable of presicion shooting at these or even closer ranges is it. I do not own one but have shot a couple and that is what i am basing my opinion on.

I always considered it a plinker.
    Ignorance is a crime in 49 states. In the other one it is bliss. Edited by: warpig883 at: 1/16/03 5:52:01 pm

rayra
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/17/03 5:12:58 am)
    valid points, considering pelt preservation. Thinking more 'eradication'.
    I can hit a 12" plate all day at ~300yds. Well within average 'combat' range. But you want pelt-preserving accuracy at that range? Agreed - impossible.
    I'd happily shoot anything with it at ranges under 300yds.

I certainly wouldn't choose it for long-distance shooting. I think I said it earlier (another thread?) Right Tool for the Right Job. You'd be better off with a quality bolt-action if you want that kind of long range accuracy.

And before there's anymore rhapsodies from anyone about the AR - I've owned one, shot'em for 8yrs in the Marines, always scoring very high at the range, including an average 90% bullseyes at 500meters.

Neither the AR or the Mini-14 are meant to be hunting / high-accuracy weapons. There are plenty of rifles that do it better.

Rich