mini 14

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by thood, Oct 25, 2011.

1. thood

thood New Member

hey does any body here shoot mini 14
  2. cycloneman

cycloneman Active Member

Hello

Welcome

Yes

Do you have a question
  3. reynolds357

reynolds357 Former Guest

A little. I shoot my Mini 30 a lot.
  4. Chinook

Chinook New Member

Yup, own a 14, in .223 Rem. Great lil Ruger.

Ya just curious who likes the Mini 14, or are ya thinkin about purchasing one, maybe you own one, and have a question about it? Whatever the case, they are awesome firearms, tackdriver, and I love mine. Welcome to TFF by the way.
  5. reynolds357

reynolds357 Former Guest

They are nice rifles, but "tack driver" might be a bit generous.
  6. 6x6pinz

6x6pinz New Member

Tack driver as long as you are using tacks for bullets and don't care what you hit.

I have had three and none of them were all that accurate, reliable yes, accurate no.

I still own a 14 and a 30 and probably always will.
  7. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

Yep, love it. Old series 180 with the longer receiver
  8. Chinook

Chinook New Member

The very first one I owned was all sorts of reliable, very true, but accurate was the least of its strong points. I ended up trading it for a pair of 870 Express shotguns! HAHAHAHA! Ah... I almost feel bad. I do have a fair amount of moolah into the newest aquisition of a Ruger Mini 14, but not all that much(relative) compared to a couple 10/22's Ive built! I might have a little over 400 bux, in at home mods, for my Mini 14 with...
    24"X.875" Button Rifled Air Gauged 416 SS Barrel w/
    11 degree target crown
    Simple pillar bedding of action(done at home)
    3.5# Match grade trigger(w/ take up adj. screw)
    Accuracy Systems Gas Block, gas pipe, and operating rod cup bushing

With match grade ammunition, or some really nice handloads I have done with a friend, this thing went Sub MOA more than once at 100 yds. And it'll do sub 1.5 MOA all day long, almost always! Im kinda glad I spend a few bucks with this one, as Im not a huge fan of AR type firearms, 'cept they are dammed hard to beat accuracy wise, outta the box! But for way less than a mid-range AR, I have a mini 14, that'll out bang my buddy's stock RRA.

Sorry, shoulda said something before spoutin blasphemy like that! Outta the box, they will outlive any AR on the market, but wont hang at the 100 yd range...
  9. popgun

popgun New Member

new ones with the heavy barrel are better than my old stainless ranch. It would heat up and sring the shots vertical
  10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I call mine the 'kidmini' because I shortened it for my wife and kids to shoot. Feels like a BB gun to me now.. :)

Attached Files:

11. Chinook

Chinook New Member

Aw, dude! Thats right! I forgot all about that thing you built! Thats a sweet rifle! I might hafta get another one for the Lady, and her son to dink around with! The 'lil guy likes mine, but the LOP is a bit much... Really reaches for the trigger. Easy enuff to remedy I 'spose!
  12. cycloneman

cycloneman Active Member

I feel the same way about mini's. They are very reliable. They will eat any ammo. But they are far from accurate. I mounted a scope on one and was very dissapointed. But that was many years ago before vmax bullets. I have another rifle an sl8 that is a tack driver with vmax bullets but it also shoots poorly with fmj. I wonder if vmax bullets in a mini will make a difference.
  13. 6x6pinz

6x6pinz New Member

funny story about the Mini. Yesterday I was at the range with a buddy of mine. We were talking about the accuracy of the Mini or lack there of. The guy a couple of lanes down heard me saying how they were not all that accurate and came down to debate the issue. He had his Mini w/scope with him. He said he shoots sub 2" groups at 100yds all the time. I said I would like to see that. He proceeded to shoot 10 rounds down range. We walked out to check the target and he showed me three rounds that were together inside 2" and said see I told you so. It made me wonder if this is how some determine their groups and why they think they are "accurate". I asked about the other seven but he did not respond.
  14. cycloneman

cycloneman Active Member

That is funny.
  15. The Duke

The Duke New Member

JLA---That is on a NICE looking Mini...Good Job!!!
  16. reynolds357

reynolds357 Former Guest

Who knows? I have never gotten Vmax to shoot very well in anything. One of my shooting buddies was working up loads for a 1000 yd rifle using them and after about two hours, he took about 400 of them and slung them in the dumpster cussing all the time about "those fxxxxxx pieces of sxxx." If I used profanity, that would pretty much express my opinion of them as well.
  17. tnhawk

tnhawk New Member

I've had a mini 14 6.8spc for several years. I have no plan to ever sell it, but my SA M1A gets more range time.
  18. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Thanks Duke. It did turn out well. A fully functional piece of art..
  19. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Here's my Mini-14. I dressed it up a bit. The muzzle break seemed to dampen some of the harmonics and bring the groups a bit tighter. 2 to 3" x 3 shot groups are pretty normal with any ammo at 100 yds, off a bench rest. It does what I expected it to do - it is what it is.

IMG_2718_2.jpg

IMG_2719.jpg

IMG_2721.jpg
  20. cycloneman

cycloneman Active Member

Hummm. I know he was loading them but v max Hornady factory is the right stuff in my sl8. Hate to see v maxes end up in the trash. There are many factors in 223 accuraticy (did i spell that right). You know they can tumble. You can have a problem with the rings, bases or scope too. Sometimes when you run into these problems I find the best thing to do is to double check everything. ANd dont let it get the best of you just walk away for a while.