Mini 1911's...

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by mule73, Nov 17, 2007.

1. mule73

mule73 New Member

Hi all, just came across this site and have been ghosting around reading all day.I have been shooting since I was a kid, but it's mostly been sporting type rifles and shotguns. I'm 34 now with a son to take care of, and while I live in a small town, times are what they are and I think I am ready to get my CCW for both myself and him.I've handled and been around firearms all my life and love to shoot, so practicing is a given.Now for my questions.What I am considering is a small Defender size 1911.I've had a bit of experience w/ the 1911 platform thru friends and family, and I love the full size gov. models.Now the problem. I'm left handed, so an ambi. thumb safety is a must.I really want to stay w/ the 3-3.5" barreled models for ccw carry. Whats available? Also what ammo tends to feed reliably in these small cannons? I assume that 230gr. ball will for practice, but i'll need a dead reliable self defense load also.Is there a huge jump in recoil in this platform as opposed to the gov. model 5 inchers? Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks, Matt
  2. GlockAndBalls

GlockAndBalls New Member

I am in the same boat as you being a lefty. I have a post in the "centerfire pistol" section labled "left handed newbie needs handgun help" Maybe this will help you. Also I figured my response to you will bring your post back to the top of the page for some exposure. Good luck and I will check back with you.

Steve
  3. mrhog

mrhog New Member

Look into Kimber. They have several that have the ambi. safty on the 3".
    Also any gunsmith could install one on your piece. I'm lefthanded also and the safty is a must on the 1911's.
    As for loads look at speer gold for the short barrel.
    I don't notice the recoil diff.
  4. mule73

mule73 New Member

Thanks guys.
  5. AngelDeville

AngelDeville New Member

230 grain hydra-shocks work good in any barrel.
  6. s+w1911

s+w1911 New Member

230 hydra-shocks +P work very well for me also.

I have read they have the highest 1 shot stop rating 96%.(every study has an opinion though)
  7. Pat-inCO

Pat-inCO New Member

Not really. :eek: I have a Kimber Ultra Carry (3") with what uised to be called an extended safety. They are now very common. What you will find is that you can actuate the safety easily with the left index finger by lifting the straightened finger. Do that in reverse and it will take the safety off qute convienently.

If you happen to get one that has a major detent making the safety quite stiff, a good gun smith can fix that in just a very few minutes. MAKE SURE it is still a positive engagement and release. You do not want it to be able to move with minimal effort.

I'm left handed and have been using that process for years. I have a few that are ambi. but I still tend to use the index finger to activate and deactivate the safety. :D
  8. Jeff.45

Jeff.45 New Member

I second that.

Don't base what you buy off of in having an ambidextrous safety, you can buy that later.

As for recoil, I've never shot one, but I hear two different stories. I guess it's all just personal preference.
  9. AR1911

AR1911 New Member

Pat-Inco, your fingers must be nimbler than mine.
    I find it very awkward to work the safety with my left index finger.
    I do pretty well using the left thumb.
  10. unclee

unclee New Member

I have a Kimber Pro carry II , 4" , it is a nice size. I do not have ccw yet, but hopefully will next month
  11. Bubblehead

Bubblehead New Member

I have a Kimber CDP II in .45ACP. It's an incredible gun. I have "0" complaints. At 15 yds I consistently get 2" groups. The fit and finish on the Kimber is perfect. I use Federal and Winchester JHP's and have never noticed a problem. Recoil is no worse than my other .45's (Colt 1911 and Sig-Sauer P220).
  12. stash247

stash247 New Member

Some of my tiny 1911's are over thirty years old, the old Detonics Combat Masters, the oldest.
    They have their own set of problems, due to the short stroke, and cycle time; the extractor, and breech face, must be perfect, for reliability, the recoil spring a monster, and frequently replaced, or you will beat the frame and slide to death; the 5" gun is fitted with an 18# spring, as standard, the Detonics runs best with a 28# spring, with 'full house loads'.
    The magazines must be hard to load, ie, with a very stout spring, or they will tie up the pistol, as they have some less than half the time, in a 5" gun, to put a round up, for feeding, in a compact, because of the short 'cycle time'.
    In the officer's model Colt, I would lose the recoil spring plug, and replace it with an Ed Brown, or similar unit, with a full length guide rod, as the stock piece has a high failure rate.
    Ammo is critical; if too long, it does not have enough time to rise and feed, in the firing cycle; a critical step in putting the 'package' together, for ccw.
    Lubrication ought to be grease, not oil, and my preference is Moly Disulfide grease, applied to the slide ways, with a toothpick, and sparingly, or you will see a lot of permanent grey spots, on your clothing.
    Mags, again; while most of the compacts will run with a full sized mag, it better be perfect, with a stout spring, and that, only for practice; that same spring, in a short mag, will insure reliability, if it does not compress to 'coil bind' with the mag fully loaded.
    I learned the tiny colts from the man who pioneered them, Armand Swenson, probably the most gifted pistolsmith ever to walk this earth, a friend, mentor, and all around wonderful man; interesting that I found this thread on Easter Sunday, the anniversary of another most wonderful man's death, and ressurection.
  13. ElrodCod

ElrodCod New Member

ORM Colt 1991A1 Compacts (3½") show up regularly on BrandX. I scored one for $526 that I'm picking up in the morning. The Colt New Agent (3") looks nice if you don't mind not having sights.

ETA: I second what Stash says about the recoil spring plug on the Officer's/Compact. EGW has a nice barrel bushing & recoil system for $125 installed.
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2008