Mini Club

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by JLA, Oct 24, 2010.

1. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

We need a mini club on here, so im startin one;)

I love the ruger minis, they are handy little rifles and fun to build up. I have a mini14 and a mini30 and right now they are my favorite pets:D

The 14 is wearing ruger factory walnut, a choate machine & tool M1A style front sight/flashhider and a 30mm Millett Reddot sight, its a 195 prefix.

The 30 is wearing a Hogue O/M stock and a Redfield revolution 2-7X33 with accu-range reticle, its a 581 prefix.

Both have recoil buffers installed and smooth trigger jobs, Im still waiting on the accu-struts to come back into stock so I can fit one to each rifle.

Attached Files:

2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

The 14 shoots fantastic so far. Im using 53 gr sierra matchkings over 25.5 gr IMR4895.

Im still fiddling with the 30, its kinda picky. Im workin a load out with IMR4198 and H4198, so far H4198 is showing the most promise, but I have not ladder tested, just starting loads to see if it would hold a group, results were typical 3" at 100.

The accu-struts should help dampen barrel vibrations and improve harmonics. Plus give it more of a M14/M1A look;)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
  3. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

Josh,the 14 looks killer. Makes me want to mount a scope on mine. To bad easier said than done. I need to get pics of mine up:rolleyes:
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Yes it does, too bad the wife confiscated it from me:(, she says I rarely ever buy guns that fit her. and in the 10 years we have been together she has stolen 2 guns I bought for myself, an inland GM M1 carbine and this mini14...
  5. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

Well here ya go. I humbly submit my old school 14 into the club. She's very quickly becoming my favorite even though the upgrades and the cool stuff are harder to do since she's a 180 series. Yep the first series Ruger put out and also the same series Ruger used for their auto version for LE and Military use. Never skips a beat and very very LOUD. I personally like the flame ball that erupts out of the muzzle. Makes me smile:D:D:D

Attached Files:

6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I like it. The old skool minis are more garandish than M14ish, too bad they are much harder to come by or id have one of them too...

As far as the scope mounting goes, you could always fit a scoutrail upper handguard to it, so you wouldnt have to desecrate your reciever. they are expensive but soldily mounted since it incorporates a barrel sleeve instead of a snap clamp, and replaces the upper gas block entirely... Its all bolt on so in 30 minutes or less with a hex wrench you could have your stock 180 back shootn with irons...
  7. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

I was thinking that too. Its a nice set up but for irons it shoots well. If I had to go to a scoped gun for a 100yd reach out and touch I'd grab my M77 anyway;):D
  8. Sandman

Sandman New Member

I also have the 180 series. I had it drilled and tapped and put a Burris 2-7 Compact scope (I don't think they even make that anymore. It was from when Burris was still made in the USA) on it. I have a whole lot of fun with it, and it will probably serve as the starter deer rifle for my two daughters. Both are very small and can't handle anything bigger than .223 yet, and mine seems to like the Federal Premium with the 60gr. partition best of all.

Have done some handloads for it with decent success as well, but am still experimenting.
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
  9. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

yeah, another series 180.:D I know that they are out there ya just don't seem them much. I think for now I'm gonna leave here alone. They guy I bought it from is a avid collector of everything firearms and liked to buy the first run or limited run weapons. This mini was never shot when I bought it, just sat in a safe for years.
  10. wingspar

wingspar Member

Originally, I wanted one with a wood stock, but it wasn’t to be for the tactical model, so I went with all black. New in July. Fun gun to shoot now that I’ve resolved the jamo-matic problem.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  11. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

Well, I guess I will throw into the mix as well, I also have a 180 series mini 14, here she is with my well warn 30rnd mag into it. This mag came with it when new along with a 15rnd mag and I even have the box she came home in and all the literature. I have taken everything from groundhogs all the way up to hogs with her and she eats any ammo you feed her no questions asked. My one problem is after she gets hot she tends to wonder a bit.

Attached Files:

12. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Yes sir they do, Both of mine string vertically when hot. If I separate mags with a few minutes with the bolt locked open the groups stay clustered. It takes the 14 about 10-15 rounds in sucession to begin to string, the 30 not so much. about 7 or 8 and its wandering all around the paper. But they cool fast so its not much of an issue;)
  13. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Cool the mini club is 5 strong:D
  14. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

Quick story for ya, when I was 15 we went ot west for a vacation and wound up doin a bit of Prairie Dog hunting with an old friend of my fathers. Here we are set up in a field loaded up in the beds of a couple of pickup trucks shooting these little buggers, Ok mabbe shooting at them. We got a few and missed a few and had a couple of em that went back into thier holes with a little lead in their hides. Any way the feller we were with had a towell he would dip in the cooler and wrap around the barrel of his Ranch Special to "Bring her back in" he would say.

By the way mine walks High Right when she heats up LOL. God love a Mini.
  15. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

funny, both of mine walk high left...:rolleyes:
  16. Sandman

Sandman New Member

Mine walks everywhere, and I only get 6 or 7 shots before it starts to do so. Not a problem though, if hunting, I only need one or two shots at a time, and if I am playing, pinpoint accuracy is not really needed.
  17. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Minute of ozarka bottle is sufficient in both cases;)
  18. Sandman

Sandman New Member

Exactly:D. And I payed less than $500 bucks for it. Granted that was a long time ago. I really like the "mini-Garand" look of the older ones.
  19. varmithunter

varmithunter New Member

Just wondering, has anyone heavy barrelled a mini-14?

I would like to build a 14 to take to the prairie dog fields, alot of people have good shooting AR's but just dont like the looks of them.

We do just fine with the bolt guns but there's nothin wrong with taking more guns that you really need.:D
  20. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

Ruger has made some factory target Mini 14's here recently and let me tell you those bloody things will shoot now. I have had the opertunity to fire two diffrent target models and all I got to say i DAMN. I dont know what kind of accessarys they have for them yet but they shoot and shoot well. It also seems they got the Wondering under controll too. The two I fored didnt seem to ge as hot as my old one. Go to Ruger's website and check em out.