1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

MINI stroke?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by goofy, Aug 7, 2012.

1. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

My dad just got out of the hospital and I was told he had a mini stroke.He is almost 80.
    My family is off the wall about talking about things like sickness.I did not even know he was in the hospital intill I called to talk to my dad (witch I do 3-4 times a week) and my brother told me he went in this weekend (and as normal I was not called) Hell I was not told for 2 days that my mom died last year!
    Anyway I am never given details so I thought I would ask here.
    What is a mini stroke?
    I was told there was no damage and not to worry about it.
    Is this a bad thing? It sounds bad.
    Anybody ever had one?
    Any info. would help me understand I have looked it up on the internet but really don't understand what I am reading(so what else is new)
    So I thought I would ask here so it could be explained in a way that I could understand.
    Mike
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
  2. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Same with me Goofy. My family never told me anything about deaths in the family. Came home one time, and they are talking about my uncle having died, when I asked when I found out it had been a month ago! The mini stroke is a TIA; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transient_ischemic_attack
  3. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear Goofy and not a Dr. here and think Carver gave you a good link.
    I've had family members and friends have what is called as mini-stokes and a lot of them didnt affect them a whole lot. I reckon it depends on what it actually does affect?
    ie., heart, brain and ect..
  4. time2shoot

time2shoot Well-Known Member

Look at it like this goofy, you fall asleep on your arm the wrong way. restricting the blood flow but not cuting it off. your hand gets stiff and numb. but it goes back to normal when full blood flow is reterned.

I hope that helps ya.
  5. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

Yes it does.
    Thank you for putting it a way I can understand.
    I got a message from my cousin he said my dad was put on baby aspirin and lipator.
    I wonder if this is a start of something worse?
    I guess time will tell.
    Mike
  6. Iron Eagle

Iron Eagle Well-Known Member

I used to work with a guy that had mini strokes. If he does what he supposed to, he should be ok, I think. I don't want to say anything negative. Prayers going up.
  7. time2shoot

The Meds. i am shure is precationary.
    to help keep small blood clots away and help prevent strokes and heart atacks.
    Lipitor's main use. and the asprin thins the blood a little also.
  8. skullfr

skullfr New Member

I had a friend that just got out of the hospital and she had 2 clots in her brain.They have a IV drug that can be used but it has 30% chance of fatality.My mom died from them at home.It can be taken care of with drugs and sounds like it may not be real bad in his case as them are pretty standard drugs.I have had mini heart attacks and didnt know it and found out by a preop EKG.I also had blood clots in my lungs and neck that was treated withLovenox at first and now Im on coumadin for life.
  9. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I work with a guy that had 2 mini strokes it the last 10 years. He was back at work in less than a week. He says it's no big deal....
  10. time2shoot

Coumadin:eek:
    nasty stuff, pharmacudical rat poison. Man thats some strong blood thiner there my friend.
    I would let somebody eles filet my fish.
    I would be growing a beard.;)
  11. skullfr

skullfr New Member

That aint what scare me.It is my femoral artery is just below the skin in my left leg.Ya know how the veins stick out on the back of your hand.That is what it looks like.I have to carry trauma level first aid kit.
  12. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

Yea i'm on Coumadin 10mg a day for a aortic valve replacement in 1986.
    I have to carry a trauma kit for bleeding too.It also has a syringe of "K" to slow down any bleeding had to go through all kinds of first aid to learn how to use all the stuff.
    Mike
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
  13. time2shoot

I dont know what to say.
    All i can think of is be careful, but thats redundent.
  14. Oldeyes

Oldeyes Member

There are no set symptoms for a person having a TIA. TIA's can range from mild to pretty serious with the more nasty ones fairly similar to full blown strokes. Elderly heart patients on the various high potency modern blood thinners seem to be a lot more prone to having TIA's. My father's cardiologist surmised that he was probably having a number of 'quiet' (unremarkable) TIA's in the last years of his life. Dad was not noticeably worse for his TIA wear. If someone notices TIA symptoms (confusion, new lack of physical stability, memory issues, vision issues, minor loss of motor function, etc.) the school solution is that they should get to the ER. There are drugs available at the ER which can be quickly administered to keep the final impact of the TIA from being more severe or from potentially leading to a full blown stroke. I had a TIA several years ago while checking out at a hardware store in town. It came on right out of the blue. It felt like a little warm waterfall had opened up inside my skull right in the very tip top of my head. It was a singularly most strange sensation. I had to grab onto the counter to stay upright and once the mini waterfall stopped I immediately turned seriously mentally goofy. I could not remember at all any of the other errands of the day that I was supposed to do. By that time I was doing incredibly good just to to get home. Long after the fact of the TIA I realized that I should have called the EMT's and gone to the ER, but during the TIA I was not doing at all well mentally and I totally lacked my normal rational thought capabilities. As luck would have it my TIA left no permanent brain damage, but that was through no fault of mine. So, if you have the interest, read up on the TIA symptoms online and you'll be much better able to deal with them personally or in others. Left untreated some TIA's can be quite serious stuff.
  15. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

Thanks for all your help.
    I talked to my dad last night(finally!) He said for me grow up and quit being such a worry wart.(caring means i am a child?) but thats a whole other Thread.
    He said if he does what he suppose to all will be ok but refused to say any more.
    So again Thanks for helping me understand a little better.
    Mike