Minie balls

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by dcriner, Sep 26, 2012.

1. dcriner

dcriner Member

Apr 18, 2011
    Illinois
    Why are patches used with round balls but not conicals?

2. Hawg

Hawg Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2011
    I can't tell you exactly why round balls are patched. Most say its to get a good gas seal but if the ball fits tight enough it really doesn't need the patch. Ease of loading with a smaller ball is my guess. The patch grips the rifling and spins the ball. Some conicals are paper patched. Minies are never patched. They have a hollow base to expand into the rifling.

3. runes

runes Active Member

May 7, 2009
    The patch cleans the bore each time you load. It grabs the rifling and grips the ball. Makes a better gas seal.
    The mini is under sized, has a hollow base and loads easily even in a dirty bore. When it is fired it expands to seal the bore. Minis must be of pure lead to assure expansion .
    I have never used conicals in a rifle. just round balls with patch.

4. Buffalochip

Buffalochip Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Runes is right--use pure lead for conicals. I've use conicals almost exclusively--cast my own. Lead type makes a big difference--too hard and they fly all over the place, pure lead and they can be tack drivers.