minimum caliber requirement ?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Logansdad, Jul 6, 2003.

1. Logansdad

Logansdad New Member

What is your minimum caliber requirement for a self defense sidearm ?
  2. Sir Bug

Sir Bug New Member

LD,

.32 cal., +P, steel jacket HP's is as low as I'll go.

Sir Bug
  3. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

My thoughts are that I wouldn't go below a 9mm pistol or a good .38 revolver.

I have had a nice Browning .25 pistol and a good .32 but prefer just a little larger. I now carry both a Browning Hi-Power and, if the occasion warrants, a Smith model 60 1 7/8 on the ankle or in the vehicle.

Can't afford it now but would like to have a good 1911 .45.....
  4. Boomatic

Boomatic New Member

For a primary self defense handgun I only carry .45 ACP now. I previously carried a Browning Hi Power...fine pistol...still own it. But, the stopping power of the .45 coupled with the flat profile of a good 1911 make it my only choice.
  5. gpostal

gpostal Former Guest

.32 has the same balistics as a .380 , .32 would be as low as i would go ,only due to the size of the pistol

.25 is out of the question ,balistics are just way to weak
    i would rather sport my .22 browning buck mark , i know i can place a round were ever i want
  6. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Leaving out a lot of variables, ~300 foot-pounds at the muzzle.

I carry one of two calibers...9mm and .357. Ballisticaly similar enough to be interchangable, once the slug leaves the barrel.

I carried a 1917 for many years and will one day have another. Until then, I'm comfortable with what I have.

Pops
  7. Gunfyter

Gunfyter New Member

I agree with the Boomer.
  8. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

Lot's of people have been taken out with a well placed .22LR...;)

Living in New Jersey, I can buy hollow point ammo, but I can only shoot it on the range. The only people I can shoot are those who have entered my home, and present an obvious intent to cause me or my family harm, only then can I shoot the rat bastard in the front...cause if I shoot him in the back I can be charged with murder, and if I shoot him with hollow points I can also look forward to spending some time as Bubba's cell buddy.
    So for me the choices have a lot of varibles.....

Since I can not use hollow points, then for effective protection against a home invading perp I need to go with size & power.
    I believe a couple of well placed 9mm FMJ's would be plenty, but I opted to keep a 10 round clip full of .40S&W's in my home protection piece.

CCW is out of the question in this bleeding heart liberal, anti-gun state....unless my name is Donald Trump of course....:rolleyes:
  9. Silver72

Silver72 New Member

When possible, a commander .45. When not, a Kel Tec P .32.
  10. bigboom338

bigboom338 New Member

I also agree with Boomer. But that said I would carry what ever I could get my hands on. I carried a 22 for a long time till I got my 45.
    Tony them sounds like some whacky laws out there on the east coast. Out here ammo selection is whatever you choose but the intruder has gotta be in the house. But where I live it would take the sherrif at least 45 min to get here so I figure anywhere on my ground would be ok then I could get them into the house b/4 he got here.....lol, or fire up the tractor and dig a hole and forget it ever happened.
  11. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Minimum would be .38 Special, but .45ACP is preferred.
  12. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

New Jersey has some of the worse, most mixed up set of gun laws in all of this country. Since I first posted here, I started reading some of these laws, and there's a lot of legal interpritation to the way they are written. One statute reads in such a way that if I shoot an armed home invader with a hollow point, I could be held criminally liabel, then I read another statute that says it's OK to use as self defense in the home, but that if it's used in the commission of a crime, the sentence could be worse.....very screwed up system that really needs to be tossed out and completely re-written in a way that law abiding citizens can understand, and most of these laws could be tossed out period, and never brought back at all......
  13. kingjoey

kingjoey New Member

My minumum carry gun is a 9mm Makarov. My usual carry gun is a 45ACP. Any caliber that goes "bang" is appreciated when things go south in a hurry.:D
  14. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Minimum requirement...22
    Optimum caliber...45
    In a pinch, anything that goes bang.
  15. MPinkston

MPinkston New Member