Minn. Farmer Charged After Chasing Thief

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 22WRF, Feb 2, 2007.

1. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

Minn. Farmer Charged After Chasing Thief

CAMBRIDGE, Minn. (AP) - A farmer who chased down a thief and held him at gunpoint until authorities arrived now faces a more serious charge than the thief himself.

Kenneth Englund, 74, was charged with second-degree assault, a felony. The thief, who the sheriff said admitted stealing about $5 worth of gasoline from Englund's neighbor, was charged with misdemeanor theft.

Sheriff Mike Ammend said people can't take the law into their own hands, and that Englund's actions were "an invitation to a shootout. There's so many things that could have gone wrong here."

On Oct. 15, Englund pointed a gun at Christian Harris Smith, 28, and a woman at the vacant farm next to Englund's place in Bradford Township. He then chased their vehicle at speeds of 70 mph, according to the criminal complaint. A 3-year-old child was in the vehicle.

During the chase, Englund used a cell phone to call the sheriff's office and asked if he should "blow them away," according to the complaint. His shotgun turned out to be unloaded.

Englund, a Township Board member for 37 years, pleaded not guilty, was released without having to post bail and is to return to court Feb. 22.

Smith was charged with another theft and was held in the county jail on a felony warrant from another state.

Prosecutor Dan Conlin said no one is looking to put Englund in jail. He said the charge fits the facts, but the case doesn't need to be resolved as a felony.

More than 350 people attended a fundraising dinner for Englund last month and a petition has circulated supporting him.

Bradford Township, about 45 miles north of Minneapolis, does not have a police force, and Englund said criminals can escape by the time a deputy arrives from Cambridge, 15 miles away.
  2. catfish83861

catfish83861 Active Member

22WRF, Should this surpize anyone. After all the police force is a reactive force not a proactive force. Just my opinion but they should give Mr. Englund a medal for having the guts to deal with a da_n thief. Oh yea did the thief really need to be arrested at all, I mean he only had one or two other warrants. I think counselling ;) might work. You know have someone watch him for about 12 hours a day as he makes little rocks out of large rocks.:D :D A thief has almost no rights at my house.
  3. Nighthawk

Nighthawk New Member

but in our legal systems the victim has NO rights:mad: :mad:
  4. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

They will have to bring Kenneth from prison, to testify at Christian's trial, so that Christian can get probation.

Does something seem a little out of whack here.
    By the way, what is a "whack" ?
  5. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

Sounds like liberal Minnesota to me.

What can one expect??
  6. Deputy Dawg

Deputy Dawg Active Member

You are so right:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: ,this man sould be given a metal, I would be proud to have him for a neighbor
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2007
  7. johnston3407

johnston3407 New Member

Minne-sooot-a
  8. Deputy Dawg

Deputy Dawg Active Member

9. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Too many bad laws on the books... too much control over the American people.

mike
    gn
  10. stash247

stash247 New Member

Where was Sheriff Mike, when the deed was done?
    The Supreme Court has held that there is no Constitutional Right to Police protection; 'they will, if they can, as time permits...' WTF are they paid for then, except the revenue they create through traffic fines???
    Mind you, I live in a different world; my home is in Texas. Here, the law says we have not the right, but the RESPONSIBILITY, as private citizens, to keep a crime from happening in our presence!
    In law, though I have never heard of it happening, a citizen could be charged for failing to obstruct an illegal act!
    I have neighbors like this guy, and pray to God I always will!
    I believe it is time for a new Sheriff!
  11. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

A - M E N, Stash.