Minty Nickel Danish Police PP / $Value$??

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Gaddock, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Gaddock

Gaddock New Member

This is the same I asked about a week ago. Pretty much mint or at the very worst 99% with box, barrel cleaner, matching test target, two nickel mags.

Ulm, nickel, 1974, .32, Made in West Germany on grips as well. Imported by C.D.I. It does have the rod to indicate if chambered or not. Can't find one on the main gun boards that's nickel +or- 5 years to compare pricing. I'm sure it's not rare but it is off the beaten path a bit it would appear.

Any Idea what kind of value it may have?

Thanks in advance.

Original Post

Last edited: Nov 5, 2011
  2. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Perhaps you can't find a pricing on the various web sites is because because the Danish police did not nickle plate their issue firearms. It is an after market plating, some one wanted to make it pretty.
  3. Gaddock

Gaddock New Member

Interestingly there is a page that talks about the various guns that were used in movies like James bond. http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/File:NickelPPK.jpg They say this is a PPk but it looks like PP as you can clearly see the back-strap. The serial number is pretty close as well as the various markings and even the same importer.
  4. Gaddock

Gaddock New Member

I'm thinking it is not aftermarket plating. That's why the model number that is on the box as well as the test target is WALPP32N ... the N = Nickel. Further on the additional bar coded sticker on the original box that also has the serial number it is written "PP .32ACP WALTHER NICKEL"

Also on page 31 of the owners manual they speak of the nickel plated model as well as several other coatings

Your thought is appreciated.

I'm going to send the letter to Walther in Germany again as they never responded. When I get it I'll post it for anybody that wants to see it.
  5. Gaddock

Gaddock New Member

Well, looks like the only way to truly know is to get a letter from the factory. I can't imagine somebody would counterfeit Walther stickers on the box and fake the test target but coming up nil on any other supporting evidence. The only thing I can think of is maybe it had nothing to do with the Danish Police in the first place and it was a special order ... who knows I'm stumped.
  6. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

how about some pictures?
  7. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Since there seem to be no markings indicating that it was used by the Danish (or any other police) I suspect the dealer was, to put it nicely, mistaken. I may well have overlooked something, but the only Danish police order for the PP that I can find was in the pre-WWII era; they were equipped with lanyard loops and there is no indication any were nickeled.

Barring more information, I would make a WAG on that pistol of around $800.

Jim
  8. Gaddock

Gaddock New Member

Thanks Jim weeee heee $800 is huge! but I'm not even wanting to sell it. I traded my wife a Baretta Cheetah for the Walther. She's even more deadly with it than the Walther. She's an off the boat Russian. My instructions to her is IF you pull the trigger one time you don't stop until you hear click click click click click. The way she shoots, 14 +P 'Flying Ash Trays' and you only say "I want a lawyer" it's their arse for sure .... no worries :) I'm still dedicated to cracking the mystery.
  9. Gaddock

Gaddock New Member

Although I have not seen official records I have read about the Danish Police using the PP before changing to various H&K products. One of those orders actually did away with the pin that showes if the pistol was chambered or not due to cracking. I believe there were around 1800 of them. A rare variant that I would love to have simply for historic value. Even though the age range of mine would put it around the time the Danish cops used them I'm thinking somebody else simply made a special order that got imported with the mix and at the time I bought it there was a glut of Danish PP's so the same old story of the day was told to me. I think the reason it's so minty is the person that bought it fired it and it stove-piped and like many things we mean to do never got around to it. I have several firearm projects that are still half baked to this day. Having been to Denmark (Dania) I know personal ownership is a challenge but strange enough the military conscripts have to bring their weapons home with them. Consequently the place is awash with weapons. Only in Scandinavia!
  10. Gaddock

Gaddock New Member

Since so many have kindly noodled my dilemma I'm going to get a friend to bring a camera that can actually show the detail mine can't seem to acquire. I'll take a bunch for those that want to take a look at it.
  11. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Hi, Craddock,

I confess to some curiosity. If you know all about the pistol and know it was a Danish police gun and apparently know its history and value, why ask about it here?

Jim
  12. Gaddock

Gaddock New Member

Hi, Kim J,
    I had not taken that pistol out for years. I suppose in my meandering surfing I find BBS thread titles like "Ask the Pros..." rather compelling when the price tag is so low. I had no idea of the value or much about the pistol. After I posted initially since there was no quick and certain answer I began researching it myself. It's more of a mystery now than it was when I started. I guess Walther answers or I'll never know for sure. Either way back in the safe it goes. One day I'll get it fixed or maybe somebody will get a cool present.
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  13. popgun

popgun New Member

I have a PP that has no chamber indicator and was told it was Danish Police. It has no special markings other than a german export stamp. What was the serial number or the Danish pistols? and were there any special markings?
  14. Jim K

Jim K New Member

As I said, I had no info on post-war Danish police guns; the pre-war ones have a lanyard loop and the Rigspolitiet (National Police) marking RPLT. I am unclear about a "German export stamp" and AFAIK there is no such thing. You may be referring to the word "GERMANY" stamped into the pistol, but that is the Country of Origin (COO) marking required by US law for imports (changed for firearms in 1968) when the COO was not indicated in the factory markings. It might have been put on in Germany or in bond in the US, but it is a US requirement, not a German one.

I have seen nothing to indicate the Danish guns did not have the normal loaded chamber indicator, but am willing to be educated by anyone with definite knowledge. Some, though, had the heel magazine release rather than the push button.

Jim
  15. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Prior to 1945 most of the Danish Walther's were marked Rplt on the left side of the frame. The post war guns were not marked as such. The Danes must have been using some very hot postwar loads in their PP's because the ammo used caused the slides to crack. The factory solved the problem by omitting the loaded chamber indicator. Only one hole was drilled through the slide from the back and a new globular firing pin used. Doing this removed the need to mill away parts from the bottom of the slide to make room for the indicator. All other post war PPs and PPKs ( except the .22s ) had a indicator. This from Dieter H Marschall's book. And none of them were chromed or nickel. If it is indeed a Danish police gun then it either never made to the Danes or was plated by the factory prior to being released to the surplus market.
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2011