1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Mis-firing in an Anschutz Model 1416

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Sylvicapra, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Sylvicapra

Sylvicapra New Member

Hello everyone,

This is my first post.

Not long ago, I purchased a used Anschutz model 1416 with a double set trigger. This rifle performed wonderfully for roughly two-thousand rounds. Then one day, and very suddenly, I had a misfire after shooting about one-hundred rounds. It was very strange. I would hear the click as I pulled the trigger but the cartridge didn't fire. When I inspected the cartridge after firing, there was no mark where the firing pin should have struck. I disassembled the bolt and all looked OK, and after putting everything back together, the rifle fired a couple of shots fine, but mis-fired afterward. I meticulously cleaned the bolt and trigger assembly, and again, the same results - a few shots fired before mis-firing. Another thing I noticed was when the rifle was mis-firing and I pulled the front trigger without pulling the set trigger first, it was very hard to pull. I didn't force it. However, if I pulled the set trigger first, the front trigger behaved normally, but misfired.

Looking at all the parts when I had the rifle disassmebled, I could find nothing obvious broken.

I have written Anschutz explaining the situation, but figured I should also put this question to this forum.

If anyone can provide insights to this bizarre problem, I'd be hugely appreciative.

Thanking you for your time.
  2. Sylvicapra

Sylvicapra New Member

More information:

I just finished tinkering around with this rifle.

I decapitated six .22 lr cartridges, poured out the powder, and killed the primers by immersion in water and swabbing them out with a Q-tip. This allowed for extensive dry-firing tests.

With the receiver and bolt separated from the trigger group, and the firing pin released by pressing the leaver on the receiver, the firing pin functioned correctly on every fire. With the rifle fully assembled, I got roughly twenty correct firings until a misfire. This misfire was very strange, and what happened was something interfered with the ability of the firing pin to travel forward, and furthermore, what I saw was that there was still a gap between the two rearmost sections of the bolt, indicating the rifle was still cocked. When I recocked the bolt and fired again, the result was the same, a misfire. However, on a whim, I jiggled the set trigger, and when I recocked and fired, the firing pin worked properly.

The problem as I see it so far is that something is preventing the firing pin from traveling forward in proper manner. Weather this is in the bolt or the trigger group, I'm uncertain.
  3. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

welcome to the forum i am sure someone will be along to help u
  4. Sylvicapra

Sylvicapra New Member

Thank you for the welcome, Beth.

I'll keep posting updates on this strange situation as things develop.

Cheers!
  5. Sylvicapra

Sylvicapra New Member

Problem found and corrected.

After meticulously cleaning the double trigger group, I took the rifle out to the range. It worked fine for about eighty shots before misfires. However, this time I noticed something when I had the rifle apart. There is a leaver and roller assembly that is connected to the receiver. The motion of this assembly allows the firing pin to fall. What had happened was the pin that holds the roller in place had moved to the right, preventing the normal downward motion of the leaver assembly. This in turn, prevented the rifle from firing. When I moved the pin back to the left, the rifle fired normally. This pin was very loose, and it took very little effort to move it.

The fix:
    I took a small amount of automobile break parts cleaner and carefully cleaned the roller, the pin and the end of the leaver. Afterward, I used a very small amount of medium strength Permatex thread locker and coated the ends of the pin and pushed the pin back into its proper position, and wiped off the excess. I left the rifle to set for over twenty-four hours before reassembly and relubrication.

The verdict:
    Roughly 400 rounds fired so far and no misfires.