Misfire

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by trenchdog1914, May 7, 2012.

1. trenchdog1914

trenchdog1914 New Member

I had a misfire with the following load: Cal .45/70, 41 Gr of 3031, CCI #200 primer, Sierra 300 Gr JHP, seated to the cannelure with a light crimp. Rifle was a Browning 78. Hit the primer twice, waited, removed cartidge and the powder load spilled out. The bullet was lodged just ahead of the chamber. The strange thing was that some of the powder was clumped into nodules about 3/16"-1/4" in size. The rounds were charged with a RCBS master 1500 scale/measure. I use "One Shot" case lube which is not supposed to affect primers or powder. It dries before I load. One previous round may have hang-fired by a microsecond. Click-bang, but so fast that I wasn't sure about it. I had a heck of a time removing the stuck bullet, so it may have been pushed into the rifling. Any thoughts on the powder clumping or the cause of the misfire?
  2. Dirtypacman

Dirtypacman New Member

Sounds like the powder did not ignite fully (or got compromised some how see clumps you speak of)

If the primer went off (but no powder burn) that is still enough to get the projectile moving and stuck in the barrel. Ask me how I know this - had 2 happen over the course of my shooting.