Mishap at range today and pics

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by JUNKKING, May 7, 2009.

1. TOOHSOTKIL

TOOHSOTKIL New Member

That is a out of battery firing. And it is very common with that ammo. As stated change ammo; but remember this pistol should not fire out of battery.
    This is easy to check for a defective or unclean trigger group.

EMPTY GUN AND MAGAZINE, cock gun without magazine and then insert it.
    We all love this worthless safety feature, no magazine, no fire.

Pull the bolt back just a little and pull the trigger, continue bacl and forth and see where and when it will and will not fire. A small amount of gap is somewhat acceptable, beyond that is not.

Glad you wern`t hurt....most times the ears ring.
  2. JUNKKING

JUNKKING Active Member

Thanks for this information, Why does it happen? Is it a problem with the gun or just the ammo? How does it happen. Like someone above mentioned how was it that one chambered then another fed on me? Like I stated It happened quick and I really wasn't watching the bolt as I wasn't expecting something like this to happen. I did watch the bolt in many of the following rounds and nothing peculiar seemed to be going on. Thanks, JUNK
  3. TOOHSOTKIL

TOOHSOTKIL New Member

The gun simply fired the chambered round (out of battery) and cycled as it should and the bolt went back and picked up the next round jamming it.
    Generally some trash has fallen down in the trigger group and a good cleaning will remove it; but again it should not fire out of battery. Sometimes it`s just a fluke, I have had many over the years and all different brands from cheapo`s to high dollar pistols and a lot of rifles.

Centerfire too, and that will get you attention!

Remington Golden bullets in my opinion are simply the worst .22 on the market and have been for over a decade, if there was or is one thing I would tell folks of rimfire.......even at $1.00 a brick...........walk by and never look back.

I would clean the pistol very well, get some good ammo and give it another try, shooting glasses please,
  4. JUNKKING

JUNKKING Active Member

ty I always wear glasses when I shoot, I had some magazine problems before and ruger themselves told me not to use remington golden bullets. The lady I spoke with actually asked me were you using golden bullets by chance? and thats when she told me not to use them. I had a few left and I figured why not now I know why. Thanks for the info, The gun did fire ok with federal ammo after that incident the same day. JUNK
  5. ucountmein

ucountmein New Member

I had a different type of problem. Upon firing a round of CCI mini-mag ammo, there was quite a bit of smoke. A second round would not chamber. Upon further investigation I discovered that the rim of the fired round blew off and the case remained inside the barrel. The second round round could not chamber because of the reduced inside diameter of the barrel caused by the stuck casing. After removing the stuck case everything seemed to function fine. This was the first and I hope the last time this will happen.
  6. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

Remmington .22s are used in my single shots only.:eek:
  7. Jimdo

Jimdo New Member

Wow... I have never seen (or heard of) anything like that happening before.
  8. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

Well, very glad to see you wernt hurt in any way. Other than the stovepipes and missfires I am glad to say that my Mk has never done that to me.
  9. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

i expect as toohsotkil has stated, the round in question fired out of battery, then the bolt picked up the next round and tried to run it home. i would also like to mention that it is possible that you had a little dirt or debree in your firing pin channel, keeping the pin from being retracted. in this case the gun may have been in battery, but the round would have went off when the pin hit it. check the round to see if there is a pin mark on it for this, since the gun functioned after this without a problem i would expect it was just faulty ammo, and not a weapons problem. glad you were not injured :)
  10. Suwannee Tim

Suwannee Tim New Member

I have seen this malfunction before. You could not pay me to go on a range without eye protection.
  11. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan Active Member

Could be a poorly made case, probably to much soft metal in the brass case. Another thing could be to much powder in the ammo. (1-2 grains can mean the difference in a caliber that small)

Glade you're OK.
  12. north tex

north tex Member

Wish I'd have found this thread sooner. I had a recent simular problem with a Ruger MkII with Armscor Precision ammo. Only mine had a flat muffled discharge that caused me to check the chamber. It had blown the rim out on two sides. I cleared it, checked the barrel, then switched to Remington and Winchester ammo and had no more problems, I thought it was an ammo problem because many of the fired AP cases showed some distortion at the rim and deeper firing pin impressions where the other two brands looked normal.
    I'll have to used to procedure TOOHSOTKIL mentioned to check the gun... By the way what is an acceptable space for "out of battery"?
  13. Jackman

Jackman New Member

When I was 14 years old (36 years ago) I took the shot. wad and powder out of a 12 gauge round then cut the plastic off leaving just the brass put it primer side up in a gravel driveway and whacked it with a chunk of shale yes it went off and plastered me with pieces of driveway grit and darn near blew out my ear drums,,,,, myth busters should have used a rock :eek: been there done that when I was young and really really dumb:eek::D
  14. doubleslover

doubleslover New Member

I don't even think much of their center fire ammo. Had a box for my .22-250 and out of 20 I bet 8 never went off. No problem with other ammo.