Mishap at range today and pics

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by JUNKKING, May 7, 2009.

1. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan Active Member

Could be a poorly made case, probably to much soft metal in the brass case. Another thing could be to much powder in the ammo. (1-2 grains can mean the difference in a caliber that small)

Glade you're OK.
  2. north tex

north tex Member

Wish I'd have found this thread sooner. I had a recent simular problem with a Ruger MkII with Armscor Precision ammo. Only mine had a flat muffled discharge that caused me to check the chamber. It had blown the rim out on two sides. I cleared it, checked the barrel, then switched to Remington and Winchester ammo and had no more problems, I thought it was an ammo problem because many of the fired AP cases showed some distortion at the rim and deeper firing pin impressions where the other two brands looked normal.
    I'll have to used to procedure TOOHSOTKIL mentioned to check the gun... By the way what is an acceptable space for "out of battery"?
  3. Jackman

Jackman New Member

When I was 14 years old (36 years ago) I took the shot. wad and powder out of a 12 gauge round then cut the plastic off leaving just the brass put it primer side up in a gravel driveway and whacked it with a chunk of shale yes it went off and plastered me with pieces of driveway grit and darn near blew out my ear drums,,,,, myth busters should have used a rock :eek: been there done that when I was young and really really dumb:eek::D
  4. doubleslover

doubleslover Member

I don't even think much of their center fire ammo. Had a box for my .22-250 and out of 20 I bet 8 never went off. No problem with other ammo.