MK IV 70 Series Colt

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by RimfireRat, Dec 5, 2006.

1. RimfireRat

RimfireRat New Member

I got a shot at a Colt MK IV 70 series used fair cond. but it has slight pitting on the left frt side of the slide,just back maybe an inch.It was stored in a holster. Original grips are gone, pachmyar signature grip on 'er now. Would $300.00 be a fair price? I always wanted a 1911 ,but some how never got around to it. too many S&Ws I guess. --JMJ--
  2. berto64

berto64 Active Member

Rimfirerat,

If the piece functions and everything seems to work I would have a smith check it for safety & headspace.

I don't think $300 is out of line for an asking price, without having seen it to be sure.

berto
  3. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

That's certainly a fair price for a working Colt. Don't worry about the stocks. They are easy to replace. If the pitting on the slide isn't too bad you could just buff it out.

I'd buy it, at that price.
  4. RimfireRat

RimfireRat New Member

It's not a large area ,but deep enough that it won't buff out.I was thinking of a little epoxy in the pits ,worked surface smooth and polished out and reblue the area. At least the pits would only look like little dark freckles and it would be smooth and blue .Any ideas.--JMJ--
  5. Goody

Goody Member

Might get the area engraved, with the other side to match. These new computerized engravers, while their work may not be as fine as the old school guys, can really hide a lot of blemishes. It is a lot cheaper than you might think.
  6. RimfireRat

RimfireRat New Member

:D Good idea, if I can find who does that kinda work. I don't know of anyone local who does that kinda work .Have to do a search on that one. --JMJ--
  7. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

For that matter, you could just buy a replacement slide for the gun. This would be a lot cheaper than engraving. Most 1911 parts are interchangeable.
  8. johnston3407

johnston3407 New Member

I'll give you $350.00 for it, sight unseen.
  9. Goody

Goody Member

I think you could just send the slide to someone, shouldn't cost more than a few dollars to ship. Here's one guy that does really nice work, by hand.

http://www.thegunengraver.com/

and an example of his work/prices

http://www.thegunengraver.com/semiauto.htm

I think you could find one of the guys that uses laser and get it done even cheaper. I know a gentleman named Kelly Lassiter or lasster, but can't put my hands on his info right now. I think the laser jobs run 30-40% less for the same coverage.
  10. RimfireRat

RimfireRat New Member

Well Pa s finest finally got the required papers to the shop.He run out of the handgun forms and they sent them UPS from 15 mi aways took almost a week.I picked up my new investment.Here's what I got .After looking at some of the fine works of art on the 1911 forum I ought to be ashamed to post mine. Was my $300.00 well spent.[​IMG] you can see the pitting on the left frt of the slide.everything seems fairly tight for the age .I think it was his carry gun and not shot very hard. left side pitting >[​IMG] I'll let you experts judge my money spent. I'm satified.;) Thanks to all for your input. on my First 1911 ..I say first as they seem to be habit forming.:D Addictive or such.---JMJ--
  11. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

I dunno, I think it's kinda beautiful....;)

I prefer the "Well used, but used well" rated firearms myself...."NIB" and "Unfired" translates to "Don't know if they work" in Polish I think:cool:

And IMHO Series 70 Colts were (are?) the best ones possible for conversion into a "Race Gun," which is another possibility....screw the engraving and spend the money either with a 'smith or to buy the parts for DIY to rebuild it into a first class combat/carry gun, I'd rather have function over form any day.....

And one thing I would do myself (I did it on mine and I LOVE it....) is to cut the front strap off that Pachmayr grip, and just use the panels and take an automatic center punch and "stipple" the front strap....if you put it in a vise with wood on either side to keep the lines straight on either side, the only area you have to be careful is right under the trigger guard...

I always had trouble with the Pachmayrs when my hands got sweaty, and the problem I traced to that "wraparound," but the stippling is still sharp 20 years later and STILL grabs and holds tight in any conditions....but the panels work well.

I also carved out the logo on the left side fwith a razor knife following the "swirl" and it made it much easier for me to hit the mag release with my thumb....but now I see Pachmayr makes grips with that already done....
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2006