The Firearms Forum banner

MKII VS MKIII

4K views 24 replies 18 participants last post by  Big ugly 
#1 ·
I say a beautiful Ruger MKIII stainless steel with rosewood grips. I already own an extremely accurate browning buckmark and thought this would be an nice pistol to my collection. My question is that I have read comments where the MKII is better than the MKIII but without details.

Was wondering if anyone could give me insight into this since the MKII is no longer in production?

#3 · (Edited)
I have two MK III's and as far as I know gvw3 is correct with the III's having the mag disconnect and the loaded chamber indicator being the only difference. If they bother you they can both be eliminated. I can never leave well enough alone so I put a trigger kit in both of mine and eliminated the mag disconnect in the process. I love the stainless Hunter model and I can get three inch groups at 100 yards with it using a rest. The pistol will do better but I am the limiting factor when it comes to accuracy. I agree the stainless models are beautiful. I have my eye on the 22/45 light models but that would mean I would have "three pistols doing exactly the same thing" making me a "gun nut". I don't think you will ever be sorry you got that stainless MK III.

#4 ·
I have a MKII, and have used a lot of MKIIIs.

IMHO, while I really like my MKII, they are the same,

with very minor differences.

I would worry more about getting a nice scope mounted,

be it MKII or MKIII. Turns it into a 75 yard plinker. With a

scope, one of these, with a 6-3/4 bull barrel is the most

accurate 22LR I own, pistol or rifle.

#5 ·
I learned proper handgun discipline with an MKII when I was a wee lad (no, I'm not British I just felt like saying that), so that would be my choice. They are great training guns and really fun plinkers. Can't say I enjoy killing my thumbs loading the magazine without a loading tool.

#6 ·
I learned proper handgun discipline with an MKII when I was a wee lad (no, I'm not British I just felt like saying that), so that would be my choice. They are great training guns and really fun plinkers. Can't say I enjoy killing my thumbs loading the magazine without a loading tool.
They don't make a loading tool for the ruger mkIII magazines?

#8 ·
Based upon my mixed casual target and field use of a .22 LR pistol I prefer the MKII design with its bottom (old European style) magazine release and the time proven cleaner/simpler original design. It is almost impossible to get an erroneous magazine ejection with the bottom magazine release, not so with the side release. So, if you like to casually occasionally stick a .22 pistol in your waistband and head out, the MKII is a better choice for you. I also fully realize that the lawyered up features of the MKIII are necessary to legally sell them in some jurisdictions, but I just don't like them in mine.

#9 ·
drymag, I have not experienced and problems with my MK's not working with various standard or high velocity ammo. I have never shot any of the "hyper velocity" ammo in any of my guns so don't know but some don't recommend it's use. I have put Fed. bulk 36gr, Fed. Auto Match 40gr, Blazer 40gr, Wolf Match 40gr, CCI high vel mini mag 40gr, and CCI std. vel. through it that I can recall and none gave problems. They do show an accuracy preference for the CCI std. vel. 40gr.

#11 ·
I have a MK2 with the ten inch bull barrel and the MK2 Target with the heavy taper barrel, both stainless. I have shot several of the MK3s and as far as accuracy they are both great, I don't like the mag release on the MK3.
I'd never buy a MK3 for myself, just don't like the added features.
Mark 2s are occasionally available on some of the auction sites and at local gun stores and pawn shops.

My first MK2 with the ten inch bull barrel I found at a gun showa couple of years ago for $550 (stainless)
My second MK2 with the heavy taper barrel (6 7/8" I think) I bought from a friend last spring for $250. (stainless)

I just bought a MK2 with a ten inch bull barrel at a semi-local pawn shop a couple of months ago for $295 & tax, $219 & change. My oldest son wanted it it so he has that one. (stainless)

I made the loading tool that pushes the little knob down to load the magazine. I made extra ones, so if any of you guys want one I'll mail you one for free, They aren't that pretty, but they work. Nice new plactic ones don't cost that much, they are on e bay all of the time. If you are going to shoot more then a couple of magazines, you need one of these. You'll thank god you got one and your thumb will give you a big kiss on your cheek.

#12 ·
So basically everyone's dislikes, between the mkII or the mkIII are the "lawyered up features" such as magazine release/disconnect. But it has nothing to do with performance, such as accuracy, reliability, and not being finicky with ammo. I also found the video provided by Ruger website on assembly/disassembly to be just as easy as the browning camper. Thanks for the input .

#13 ·
I had a Ruger Standard which is the forerunner of the Mark I. It was purchased in about 1960 (for $69.95) and there is no telling how many 10's of thousands of rounds have been fired. In 1980 or 81 I replaced the firing pin and extractor. I gave the gun to my son in 1993 and he has fired many thousands of rounds and the gun is still accurate and reliable.

In 2004 I bought a Mark II stainless because I missed having a .22 pistol to plink with. I expect it will still be shooting good when my great grandson is retired.

#14 ·
My kids and wife just got me a Mark 111 for my birthday. I can't wait to give it a try. I had a Mark 1 but it was stolen back in 1981. I loved that gun.

#15 ·
The Mark series is a decent, accurate, dependable solid built 22 auto pistol that should be around in circulation for a bunch of years. They are hand me down guns, if there is no one to hand them down to, you should get what you paid for it when it's time to sell it. A great buy with lots of fun shooting.

#16 ·
Great guns! I have two MKIII Hunter's both identical to each other. I really like stock trigger pull - and everything else 'stock' to these pistols. No complaints.
Yes,,,I solved the magazine loading problems with my thumb - I use a small plastic bottle cap. If you loose them, you can always find another within seconds.
rich

#18 ·
The Mark III is more readily available. The prices are pretty reasonable. I've had the 22/45 in the past and didn't particularly love it. I'm looking for a Ruger but my debate is between the Hunter 6.88" and the Target 5.5" not the II vs. III. I want to put an optic on this one and add some Volquartson goodies. The Buckmark I already have will remain my iron sight steel challenge gun.

#21 ·
Um...you already have a Browning, why go lower on the totem pole??
Go UP to a Hammerli or Hamden HS Victor/Olympic or something else of serious capability...

I know there are a lot of Ruger Fanboys on here, but heck, truth is truth,
A Ruger pistol ain't never won Olympic Gold...and they won't.
It is highly unlikely to happen in my lifetime. They just can't compete.

#22 ·
I bought a McFadden loading tool and don't use it any more, I seen these and made my own out of material like from a truck mud flap. A lot easier to use,takes up a lot less room, and didn't cost me nothin but a little time.
http://www.amazon.com/Ruger-Mark-Magazine-Loader-Loading/dp/B002R1DIQS

I've given at least twenty of the ones I made away. Mine aren't as pretty as these, but they work just as well.

#24 · (Edited)

Man, I have to think back on the differences......I think these are some of them.

MKIII is drilled and tapped for a scope, MK II isn't.

Magazine disconnect safety

There is a polymer loaded chamber indicator sticking out the left side when a round is in the chamber.

The MKIII comes with an allen wrench for locking the trigger

A magazine has to be inserted to reassemble the pistol

and something else is odd....or that might have been on my 22/45. Something about the bolt release being backwards from how the other pistols functioned...can't remember what.

I did not like the grip on my 22/45 and it had feeding issues that neither I nor Ruger could fix. Took it back where I got it and brought home the bull barrel above. It isn't much fun to shoot. Hits everything you aim at. M1911

#25 ·
Here is my MkIII, This sucker is a great shooter. Had a adjustable trigger added and mount added for a small scope. The Grips were made by a very talented feller in Friendship Indiana

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.