MN LE Denounce Personal Protection Bill.

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by steve4102, Feb 20, 2012.

1. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

MN LE opposes Personal Protection bill. Nice!

http://www.startribune.com/politics/statelocal/139460918.html

Police and prosecutors took a united stand Thursday against a bill that would expand the definition of self-defense and the use of deadly force for civilians who feel threatened in their homes and cars and in public places.

"Standing here is all law enforcement, all Minnesota's prosecutors," Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman told a State Capitol news conference. "We unanimously oppose this bill."

The Minneapolis and St. Paul police chiefs, representatives of the state's police chiefs and rank-and-file officers, and the state County Attorneys Association joined Freeman in denouncing the bill.

http://www.startribune.com/opinion/commentaries/139327433.html

http://therightofthepeople.org/minnesota-gun-rights-bill-under-attack.html

http://www.mndaily.com/2012/02/14/gun-bill-shaky-ground
  2. lawdawg

lawdawg Member

I think the results from the states that have passed similar "castle doctrine" laws, mine included, speaks for itself. Far from seeing chaos, and shootouts in the streets, there has actually been a REDUCTION in crime. Imagine That! No one should be required to retreat from a threat when they are in a place that they have a legal right to be; whether that is in one's home, or at the grocery store. I'm a little shocked at my brothers-in-blue in Minnesota, not so mauch at the chiefs (they ain't real cops anyway), but the "rank and file" officers that oppose this law.

3. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

Lawdawg is right as rain about Police Chief's as not being real Police Officers. They are POLITICIANS. The Chief usually serves at the Mayor's pleasure. Some Police Chiefs are honest, hard working folk trying to do the right thing, but most are just collecting pay and earning political points. As far as "Rank And File" Officers falling in line with the Police Chiefs - they are just ladder climbers waiting for their turn at the Chief's desk.

The old Gun Control line about "shootouts on every street corner" and "fender-benders turning into Wild West gun battles" never has turned out that way. Armed honest citizens equal safer communities. When seconds matter even the best Police Departments are minutes away.
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  4. USMCSpeedy

USMCSpeedy Member

There are alot of officers around that think this is a good thing. Unfortunately their higher-ups are more political and are against it making it look like everone in their department is against it.
  5. Conman

Conman Member

Well, that shows you what the "opinion" of LE is worth.
  6. lawdawg

lawdawg Member

"The old Gun Control line about "shootouts on every street corner" and "fender-benders turning into Wild West gun battles" never has turned out that way. Armed honest citizens equal safer communities. When seconds matter even the best Police Departments are minutes away."

The funny thing about the "Wild West" is that the most notoriously wild towns and infamous gun fights was a result of strict gun control laws. Towns like Dodge City, Kansas, Tombstone, Arizona, etc. had VERY strict gun control laws. In fact, the infamous Gun Fight at the OK Corral was a result in the town's law enforcement (represented by the Earps) attempting to disarm the cowboys (represented by the Clantons) who had violated the law by coming into town armed. Much like modern day cities such as DC and Chicago who have the strictest gun laws and (surprise, surprise) the highest crime rates.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  7. al45lc

al45lc New Member

Not surprising, Mn has always been a VERY blue state.
  8. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

9. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

sounds like they want you all to be victims ..

vote em out ..
  10. Deputy Dawg

Deputy Dawg Active Member

This is just one of the reasons why I live in Texas.
  11. muddober

muddober Active Member

Retreating to me means getting shot or stabbed in the back.

Ron
  12. Jim K

Jim K New Member

It's all about power. The corrupt cops and official thugs who have it and use it to intimidate and terrorize the citizens don't want to give any of it up. And there is the concern that a citizen might do in a drug dealer or robber and deprive the crooked police and politicians of their cut in the illegal take.

Jim
  13. ProtectorRoss

ProtectorRoss New Member

After reading this, a quote that I have seen a few times come to mind...
    I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

If cops could protect us 100% of the time, I would not carry a gun. If I ever need to use my gun to defend myself I hope it is in a gun supportive area.
  14. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

Hey Jim, don't hold back, tell us how you really feel. :)

Back when I took my "Permit to Carry" class we had a local LEO speak and teach us a thing or two. One of the things he taught us was that he does not believe in the "right to carry" and he will not tolerate "open carry". Told the class that he and his fellow officers (with the blessing of the Chief) will arrest anyone if they are seen open carrying. You will be charged with Disturbing the Peace and your firearm confiscated. He also informed us that the legal fees associated with getting your firearm back would outweigh the cost of the firearm 10 fold. He ended his informative speech by pointing his finger at the class saying, open carry, "Not in My Town".
  15. Millwright

Millwright Well-Known Member

Don't know about current conditions, but those prevalent circa the late Eighties in MSP would give me pause to agreeing to CCW ! >MW