Mod tex 22 cal L.R. Fie Miami Fl.

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Pauls Tire, Jun 29, 2009.

1. Pauls Tire

Pauls Tire New Member

I understand that this particular model was imported til 1968. I have 1 in very good condition and would like to know the value or what I should ask if I decide to sell.
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  2. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I can't find any information on it, but if it is the F.I.E. that I am familiar with, you will be lucky to get $50 for it. Mind ya, this is just my opinion. BTW, welcome to the Forum.

I just saw one on Auction Arms go for $18.00 for the frame only (no cylinder).
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2009
  3. ladyblueeyez1960

ladyblueeyez1960 New Member

Paul, Do you stil;l have this, I would love to buy it.
  4. towman50

towman50 New Member

I also just recently aquired a mod tex 22 cal L.R., but just the frame no cylinder and would like to restore it but i don't know where to buy the parts that i need. all the local gun stores won't have nothing to do with it because of the band on this type of gun. Any suggestions
  5. Goody

Goody Member

6. Wildmaninreed

Wildmaninreed New Member

I to have one of these, but with the wood handles. Why was this gun banded & How much is it worth?
    Thx's
  7. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

The correct word is " banned ". FIE, Firearms Import and Export, made their fortune from importing knifes, firearms and other small sporting ( and non sporting ) items from Europe. Their goal was not quality but cheap or inexpensive products. The knifes were soft steel and guns of low reputation. The 1968 Gun Control Law set certain standards a firearm had to pass before it could be imported. Size, strength, sights, and so on. The laws purpose was to limit the importation of cheap Saturday night " Specials " { our own home grown manufacturers could handle that job :) } On the most part they were successfully but unfortunately a few good guns were caught in the web such as the Walther PP and PPK. FIE firearms are held in very low regards as to quality and dependability. There were many efforts made to get around the law such as adding target sights to an already existing model but most of these import firms did go out of business. As to value, see the second post on this thread.
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  8. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

Ron-
    The correct word is "knives."

;)
  9. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

I know, but I've been spelling it knifes for 70 years, don't make it right, just familiar. Perhaps it should be banded.:D
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  10. Wildmaninreed

Wildmaninreed New Member

Oh ok, Thanks for the fast reply. I guess I best watch my spellin' on here. A man could get Knived or Band,,,lol :D

I gave $25 for this one a few years ago. The wife loves it & loves shooting it. I like to get something with a bit more kick, But got to find a job first.
  11. LeeGaymon

LeeGaymon New Member

I own his pistol and yes, it is not all tricked out, but it handles well, the balance is good enough and it is fun to shoot. I am glad that not many people like this gun because it means that I can get another one for not that much money.
  12. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

:Dgood for you, LeeGaymon, quanity over quality:D
  13. dustydog

dustydog New Member

Ah well.I'll throw one out there.I've actually worked on a couple of these,as well as other FIE guns before.Yes,the are not H&R,S&W,Colt,Walther,etc.What they are is a very modestly priced pistol for plinking.They are fun to shoot,and if you use standard velocity .22 LR or shorts,will last quite a while.I know one fellow out this way that has been potting groundhogs and squirrels with his for at least 20 years.Class them with Heritage.they arn't tackdrivers,but are work guns.Probably could get around $100 for one here,maybe better on trade,depends on condition.
  14. xwpfan

xwpfan New Member

I have a question about a pistol I inherited from my uncle (now deceased) and would like input from other members about the gun. It is a Model E-15 “Buffalo Scout” single action 22 LR/22 Mag revolver made in Italy for F.I.E. I’m wondering if anybody out there has had experience with this little gun. I even found the 22Mag cylinder for it. The only issue with the gun seems to be that the cylinder rod doesn't always lock the cylinder into place which locks up the advancing mechanism until I fiddle with it. Common problem?
  15. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Buffalo, made by Giuseppe Tanfoglio until 1968 and Fratelli Tanfoglio after 1970, No longer imported. Same basic information as with the FIE Ranger above . The Buffalo was a few steps above the Ranger but still imported as a inexpensive firearm.
  16. njlayne

njlayne New Member

My husband has the Tex 22 cal LR. It has recently developed firing problems. It will fire 3 and then misfire 3. Any ideas? The local gunsmith basically said to toss it.
  17. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

These guns are repairable, certainly. The issue is cost of repair vs resale value of firearm.

We would be more than happy to repair any of the FIE and Excam .22 single action revolvers and even have some new old-stock parts. It is completely the customer's decision whether they want to spend the money to do so.
  18. njlayne

njlayne New Member

I appreciate the quick response. I was hoping someone had some ideas to share on what the problem might be.
  19. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

Not enough information. Is it not firing on the same chambers in the cylinder or different chambers? May be a spring issue, a firing pin issue or a chamber mouth issue. Impossible to tell without seeing the gun.