1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

modding a mossberg 88?

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by focusmaniaczx3, May 22, 2010.

1. focusmaniaczx3

focusmaniaczx3 Member

i just laid my hands on a very good condition mossberg model 88 pump 12 gauge for $75. i cant leave anything i own alone, ever and ive already made peace with the fact that i will probably end up spending more money on modifying the gun than i originally spent on it in the first place. originally i was just going to use it for bird hunting and get a top folding stock for it to keep next to my bed loaded with buck shot but after i realized how easy it is to remove and change the barrel im thinking rifled barrel to shoot slugs for deer hunting this year. what is the model 88 interchangeable with? what i mean to say is can i use aftermarket barrels listed as being for any other model or brand shotgun on my mossberg 88? same goes for stocks. end result, i would like to locate a top folding stock with pistol grip and a rifled slug barrel for this gun but im having trouble finding either specifically listed for the model 88. also i really really need to locate a plug for it. its my first pump and ive been told by my grandfather (great source :p) that you have to have a plug in a semi-automatic or pump that limits you to 3 shells when hunting. my mossy will hold 5 so i believe the plug has been removed and i would like to be legal when i hunt with it this year. where could i get one of those? i cant find one for it anywhere.
  2. Popeye

Popeye New Member

You might try searching for Maverick Model 88 accessories.

A piece of wooden dowel (cut to length) works very well as a magazine restrictor.
  3. focusmaniaczx3

focusmaniaczx3 Member

so the mossberg 88 is the same as a maverick model 88? i saw several of those when i was searching and just wrote them off as information overload and ignored them.

thanks a ton for the dowel tip. i have a lathe out back so ill give that a whirl tomorrow and see what i can come up with.

i think ill be able to manage locating a stock that i like. does anybody have a preference on barrels that they like really well?
    Last edited: May 23, 2010
  4. focusmaniaczx3

focusmaniaczx3 Member

i did a quick search and im finding that the barrels from maverick 88's are interchangeable with mossberg 500 with no mention at all of the mossberg model 88. im still on square one
  5. focusmaniaczx3

focusmaniaczx3 Member

well i AM a man of constant contradiction... the more i look and poke around the more i contradict myself. it seems that after ive embarrassed myself and shown just how much of dummy i am that the mossberg 88 and maverick 88 are the exact same gun. and as a matter of fact the mossberg 500 is basically the same gun as well except for the location of the safety. i have gleaned this from google search going through other forums so if it is incorrect please dont be shy. i have learned the hard way on several separate occasions that you cannot believe everything you read on the internet.
  6. Esteban

Esteban New Member

Yep, Maverick 88, made by Mossberg. You got a great buy. Watch closely though. A few accesories are NOT interchangeable with the Mossberg 500.
  7. wpage

wpage Active Member

Dont sweat the contradictions. Best way to find is to plug and play. Either way you made a major Score!
    Congrats
  8. focusmaniaczx3

focusmaniaczx3 Member

thanks a ton you guys. as always this forum has been a very very helpful learning tool
    Last edited: May 23, 2010