Model 10-A and a JC Higgins Bolt Action

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Model10-A, Jun 24, 2006.

1. Model10-A

Model10-A New Member

I have a Remington Model 10-A 12 gauge shotgun. The gun sat in my grandfather's basement for many years before he finally gave it to me. I cleaned the gun up best I could, I blued the gun and sanded and stained the stock. I believe the serial number is (U 144806).

The second gun is a JC Higgins Bolt Action 16 gauge shotgun. This one was also given to me by my grandfather. It is in better condition with a little rust on the barrel. I believe the serial number from this gun is 583.14.

What are these guns worth and is there a site that i find information of the guns?
  2. SGVictor

SGVictor Member

I cannot help with the Remington but the Sears bolt action shotgun was built by High Standard. 583.14 is not the serial number but rather a Sears identification number that combines the vendor code and a number that represents the specific model and its variation. In this case 583 is the vendor code for High Standard and the 14 determined teh specific model and variation.

There are owners manuals and parts lists on my website at www.histandard.info
  3. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Welcom Model 10-A
    The remington is worth about $300 in exc. shape and about 200 in good shape

The J.C. is worth about $100 in exc shape and about $75 in good shape
  4. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

Since you reblued the shotgun and sanded the stock, you have destroyed any collectible value it might have had. If it looks decent, it is probably worth up to $125 at most.
  5. Red Neck64

Red Neck64 Former Guest

The Remington 10-A may be worth much more since it cowboy action legal.
  6. berto64

berto64 Active Member

You'd be lucky to get $100 for the Higgins, I have two Higgins 16 Gauge and paid $60 for one and $70 for the other.

I have a complete 12 gauge of that model too, but it will never be fired because of the bolt recall.

Only reason I bought them is that I collect JC Higgins sporting goods and wanted to complete the shotgun line.
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2006