The Firearms Forum banner

Model 1860 Army revolver

3K views 25 replies 10 participants last post by  Big Mak 
#1 ·
This was the one I posted earlier mistaking it for an 1851.
Based on the 2014 version of the GunDigest book of Guns and Prices it does not have the following markings:

No .44 cal on the trigger guard.
No navel battle scene.
Stamping looks shallow and not of the era.

What do you think? Reproduction? Worth?

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
It looks to be original and it was a military gun, the inspector's cartouche is still faintly visible on the stocks.

Looks like all the visible serial numbers match.

dc, colt made at least 200,000 of them so that high number doesn't mean it's a repro.

I'm not able to give you an accurate estimate on value but I'm sure some one will be along in short order that is a lot more knowledgeable on prices than I am that can help you out.

#6 ·
Those roll engraved scenes were very shallow and were easily worn off, Colts address on the barrel and those inspection marks and serial numbers were stamped a bit heavier and less prone to wearing away.

If you can make out the initials on the cartouche, I can't tell what they are in the photo, you can get close to when the gun was accepted and the serial numbers will also tell you when it was made and if it's old enough to have seen Civil War use, dang it, where's Hawg when you need him?

He'll have some pretty good information for you.

#8 ·
Just from what I can see in your pictures, I think it's the real deal rather than a repo.

It does look like there are some very faint lines still remaining on the cylinder in that 7th picture.

#9 ·
The gun is real. It has been buffed and maybe blued at some point in time. The fit between the barrel and frame should be much more crisp and tight. The markings are all legit and correct. The scene on the cylinder has been either buffed or worn away. The font on the numbers is correct for a genuine Colt of this period. The gun is in such poor condition that the value is greatly reduced. I estimate between 800 to 1200 due the condition. These guns are not uncommon in this condition but nice are much more seldom seen.

#10 ·
It looks legit to me. You very seldom see a well used gun that still has the cylinder scene. I cant really tell from the pic but it doesn't look as if the number on the cylinder matches the last three digits of the serial number. If they don't the cylinder isn't original to it which would explain the color difference. Most people think the number on the cylinder is the patent number from the way its written but it should be read as
Colt's Patent
No. 123
The three(or four) digits should match the last digits of the serial number.

#12 ·
Oh, and the story is, My buddy (who moved to Oz) said his dad bought this pistol and the Barnett London with paper route money as a kid in Tacoma WA back in the early 40's. His dad was a great guy. Was wounded in the Korean War at the Chosin Reservoir. Great books out there on that battle if you ever get a chance to read them..

#18 ·
It is "Text Book"...an oval with a horizontal line at one end, indicating that the text enclosed is a royal name. In the case of guns, it's typically a mark that can be an inspection stamp saying anything from "the gun has been test fired" or other information pertain to the gun such as inspection.

#19 ·
It's an Egyptian hieroglyph shaped as an oval with symbols denoting a name inside of it.

On a U.S. military fire arm it's an oval stamp on the stock with the inspectors initials inside of it.

#20 ·
Okay, so it passed "another authenticity" test. Replicas are bored .44 all the way through the cylinder chamber. Authentics have the cylinder chambers begin at base at .375 and end at .455 (probably loose, should be .451 but it's been fired...)

#22 · (Edited)
Looks real to me and I am betting it looks better in person. Is there a serial number on the wedge?
Look for serial numbers on the barrel, frame, trigger guard/front strap, rear strap, cylinder, cylinder arbor, grip, and wedge.
It also has most of the original bluing left which is odd considering the patina of the cylinder. But the cylinder might have been stored differently. Tough to find an all numbers matching under $1500.

Cartouche Inspector Serial Number Range
GGS George G. Saunders 6398 – 8810
ADK Andrew D. King 8340 – 8489
OWA Oliver W. Ainsworth 8487 – 62738
RHKW Capt. Robert H. K. Whiteley, USA 8868
JH Joseph Hannis 0262 - 49437
JT John Taylor 11654 - 143846
BH Benjamin Hannis 12099 - 14160
PB Pomeroy Booth 18007 - 58424
CSL C. S. Leonard
(believed to be “Samuel” Leonard) 43694 - 105928
CHM
(possibly CAM) Unknown 45349 - 50772
EF Edward Flather 45349 - 50772
GDS G. D. Shattuck 49436 - 95775
WHR William H. Russell 76949 - 120222
HSL Homer S. Lathe 80944 - 138074
EMC E. M. Camp 106447 - 111934
ABB Probably A. B. Bullock
(possibly A. B. Burdick
or A. B. Blackington.) 111353 - 114117
HWW Henry W. Wilcox 103932 - 127716
JSD John S. Duston 63880 (15234) - 143760
JLC Joseph L. Cottle 125648 - 126902
HBT Unknown
(possibly HBJ - H. B. Johnson) 135590 - 145352
MH (possibly “MK”) Unknown.
Possibly Michael Hayes. 117695 - 143691

#23 ·
Great info Russ!
Yes, the wedge appears to match the other S/N but the 1 and 4 are worn off.
Also, here is a close up of the cartouche, hard to make it out. I purposely went low light and post processing contract to show it better.

Attachments

#26 ·
I had a chance to speak with Brian last night who's father owned the gun. (Brian recently moved to Australia with his wife and could not take the guns without a lot of red tape)

Apparent a very long time ago his father and uncle purposely sanded down the barrel to removing the rolled navel scene etching however you can faintly see remnants of it with the right light.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.