1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Model 1873 Winchester

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Win73, Oct 30, 2009.

1. Win73

Win73 New Member

I have no intention of selling it but I am just curious about the market value of my '73 Winchester. It was passed down to me from my father.

It was shipped from the factory on November 7, 1891. It is a .38-40 with a 24 inch octagonal barrel. The serial number is 487,xxx.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2009
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Just SWAGing from the pic, I'd say twelve to fifteen, at a minimum. How's the bore?
  3. Win73

Win73 New Member

The bore is in good shape, especially for a 118 year old gun. I don't shoot it very much at all, but a few years ago I fired a three shot group at fifty yards. Two of the holes were overlapping and the third was about 1/2 inch from the first two.

I shot a deer with it three years ago. I trailed that deer over 500 yards bleeding heavily but lost it in very thick vines, briars, and brush and never could find it.

Mechanically it is in very good shape. The stock and forearm are still locked solidly to the metal with no play or movement whatsoever. For nearly the first century of its life it got no special treatment at all. It was a working gun. It stood in the corner of the farm house with the rest of the guns.

I know nothing of its history prior to about 1930. That's when my father bought it from a cousin of his for $5. The cousin had bought it and paid $8 for it. The cousin got in a tight for money and sold it to Dad for $5. That doesn't sound like much but for Dad at the time it was almost a weeks pay! He was working on a highway construction crew and was making the tremendous sum of 15 cents an hour.
  4. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

Excellent rifle! You are very lucky to have such a nice piece of history.