Model 1911 US Army

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by markedi, Dec 26, 2009.

1. markedi

markedi New Member

I have a model 1911. I checked the body serial number on my 1911 and it came back as being produced in a batch of about 17,000 made in 1912. In checking facts I see all were blued, but mine is a very worn aluminium silver like color. I also noticed mine has patent information on the slide which also included 1913. Can this gun be original or can it be a mix of different parts? Thanks markedi
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2009
  2. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Pics needed.
  3. jondar

jondar New Member

Probably, but not for certain, is a mix. The ser no. is on the frame and the patent dates on the slide, so it's a 1912 production, according to your research. A purist, wanting to buy it would pass, without the Feb 14, 1911 patent date on it. First time I've seen this, tho probably happened many times. Yes, a photo would be interesting.
  4. markedi

markedi New Member

Hey, Thank you all for the quick responce. My apologoes, picture attached of the disassembled so I could degrease it. And I neglected to add all the slide stamping which has "Patented Apr 20, 1897, Sept.9, 1902
    Dec.19, 1905, Feb. 14, 1911, Aug. 19, 1913" then the Colt logo and "Colt's PT.F.A.MFG. CO. Hartford, CT. U.S.A.
    It also has E.E.C. on the body, which I believe is the instector. I also read E.E.C. was the inspector for 1914, not 1912, which is also confusing, and there is a seal under his initials which looks like and Eagle with letters E26. I had also read the first batch in 1912 was given to the Army and that the Navy and Marrines was issued in 1913 or 1914. On the bottom of the hand grip there is also a loop which looks like it is used for a lanyard. Any more feed back would be very much appreciated.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 26, 2009
  5. markedi

markedi New Member

HELP: Questions about 1912 Model 1911

I have a model 1911. I wanted to get some feedback such as, is this original?
    Usually, not a good idea to refinish, but if it's not original would you recommend having it restored or re-finished with blueing? How is it patent info for 1913 is stamped on a gun made in 1912? Is this color original? What is it worth? Whatever recommendations or information about this gun would be great. Thanks in advance.

I looked up the serial number on my 1911 frame and it came back as being produced in a batch of about 17,000 made in 1912.

In checking some facts, I read all were blued, but mine is a very worn aluminium silver like color. I also noticed mine has patent information on the slide which also included 1913. Exact slide stamping is "Patented Apr 20, 1897, Sept.9, 1902 Dec.19, 1905, Feb. 14, 1911, Aug. 19, 1913" then the Colt logo and "Colt's PT.F.A.MFG.CO. Hartford, CT. U.S.A.

On the left side of the frame, next to the trigger it also has E.E.C., which I found was the inspector. I also read E.E.C. was the inspector for 1914, not 1912, which is also a bit confusing but possible. Under E.E.C. there is a seal stamped which looks like and Eagle with letter/numbers E26.

I had also read the first batch in 1912 was given to the Army and that the Navy and Marrines was issued in 1913 or 1914. On the bottom of the hand grip there is a loop cast into the main spring housing which looks like it was used for a lanyard. Does that indicate which service was issued this gun?
    Any feed back would be very much appreciated.
    Thanks markedi

Attached Files:

6. jondar

jondar New Member

markedi - Nice looking gun. I thought first it had been buffed out "in the white" but wonder now if someone could have given it a satin nickel plating. Can you find the former owner and inquire? I believe the eagle near the mag release button is the Springfield logo. I wonder about the inspectors cartouche, EEB I think you said, in addition to the Springfield logo. Odd that there would be both of them, maybe someone smarter than me could comment. I have also a mixed breed 1911 with a Colt frame and a Remington UMC slide. (Not Remington-Rand.) Both were made in 1918 and is marked with the Springfield logo. Nice looking grips, I took off the walnut diamond grips that came with mine and bought a set of WW2 1911-A1 grips and like them a lot better.
  7. markedi

markedi New Member

Jondar, thanks fo rthe reply. The former owner passed away and his wife gave this gun to me. I cleaned some of the grime, but didn't buff it. I guess if they did plate it, I can do just about anything to the gun without losing any value. I will check out those grips yuou mentioned. Thanks again.
  8. markedi

markedi New Member

Questions model 1911

I have a model 1911. I wanted to get some feedback such as, is this original?
    Usually, not a good idea to refinish, but if it's not original would you recommend having it restored or re-finished with blueing? How is it patent info for 1913 is stamped on a gun made in 1912? Is this color original? What is it worth? Whatever recommendations or information about this gun would be great. Thanks in advance.

I looked up the serial number on my 1911 frame and it came back as being produced in a batch of about 17,000 made in 1912.

In checking some facts, I read all were blued, but mine is a very worn aluminium silver like color. I also noticed mine has patent information on the slide which also included 1913. Exact slide stamping is "Patented Apr 20, 1897, Sept.9, 1902 Dec.19, 1905, Feb. 14, 1911, Aug. 19, 1913" then the Colt logo and "Colt's PT.F.A.MFG.CO. Hartford, CT. U.S.A.

On the left side of the frame, next to the trigger it also has E.E.C., which I found was the inspector. I also read E.E.C. was the inspector for 1914, not 1912, which is also a bit confusing but possible. Under E.E.C. there is a seal stamped which looks like and Eagle with letter/numbers E26.

I had also read the first batch in 1912 was given to the Army and that the Navy and Marrines was issued in 1913 or 1914. On the bottom of the hand grip there is a loop cast into the main spring housing which looks like it was used for a lanyard. Does that indicate which service was issued this gun?
    Any feed back would be very much appreciated and if you can recommend a gunsmith in northern NJ would be great.
    Thanks markedi

Attached Files:

9. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Part of the problem is that you don't give the serial number. E.E.C. was Edmund E. Chapman, who inspected only pistols made by Remington Arms-UMC, August 1918 to June 1919. Those pistols were numbered in their own series, 1-21676, which would be in the 1912-1913 range if Colt serial numbers.

(Do not confuse the Remington-UMC pistols of the WWI era with the much more numerous Remington Rand pistols of WWII.)

The slide is Colt, and looks to be from the 1918 era. The finish is definitely NOT original; it looks like just polished steel, but some type of plating or attempt at plating might be possible.

It is a mixmaster, worth maybe $400 or so. The Rem-UMC frame might have brought a nice premium if it were in original condition.

Jim