Model 30 Stevens "Favorite" Takedown

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by pawn, Jun 23, 2008.

1. pawn

pawn New Member

This rifle looks like fun- similar to what I remember as the savage stevens "crackshot" years ago. Anyone shot or own a Model 30 Stevens?

http://www.savagearms.com/30gtd.htm
  2. Dirtypacman

Dirtypacman New Member

I have shot one at a range that a very nice gentleman had there. It was a fine shooter and interesting little rifle.
  3. William Harper

William Harper New Member

Dear Pawn: It looks like Savage is gradually phasing out the Model 30. My hopes are that for the high price on the take down model they have done a better job than on Model 30s 1999-2005, which had basic measurement errors affecting firing in the 30 GM .22 WMR and the world's worse triggers on all models plus some very bad internal fitting of investment cast action parts. One also has to make sure that no one has been dry firing the Favorite, which will damage the extractor leaving the case rim unsuported causing misfires. Wherever you order it, make sure that the clerks do not dry fire it or allow customers to do so. I am happy to say, Savage has a fine one year warrranty on these rifles and does good repairs and will do gunsmithing for cash after the warranty is expired. Bores are generally excellent and invite you to try 15 or 20 different .22LR loads to see what shoots best. I replaced my model 30's elevation ramp with one from a model 30R17 which is more flexible with low to high velocity loads and I made a custom ramp by hand. I removed the bead from the front sight leaving a good square post. The result is I can shoot from close range to 300 meters very accurately in quiet air. Note: the Favorite is temperature sensitive and+-10F will raise or drop point of impact 6-8 inches at 300 meters. Caution: the Favorite's pivoting block action is not strong. Don't shoot greasy cased ammo or Aguila's new Interceptor round from it. Shoot with dry chamber walls. A Que tip works for me to dry them. Otherwise I have found the model 30 Favorite a remarkable performer. Best ammo for it for me has been Lapua Master L, Aguila Golden Eagle Match, Federal Automatch and CCI Velocitor. I do find my Favorites fun on small game or targets and pleasantly light to handle in the field. I have been shooting 60 years so I am a senior too. Good luck.
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2009
  4. pawn

pawn New Member

Hi William, I appreciate your comments. Please check your private messages. :)