Model 48 Topper

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Alpo, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Mine is marked

Topper Model 48
    Worcester MASS Made in USA
    H xxxxx (5 digit SN)

Now, if I'm reading Bill's post http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=81847&highlight=Topper serial number (post #2), correctly, it was made in 1947?

I've had a couple of people show interest in it, and I was thinking that a used single-barrel is worth 75 or 80 bucks, and that ain't worth selling for. But it's a 16. They don't seem to be being made any more. So maybe it's more valuable?

I'll put up a pic, after I clean it some. It's been sitting in the corner collecting dust bunnies, for a couple of years.
  2. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Alpo,
    'H' = 1947, as you suspected.
    As to the 16 ga - from my experience in researching and watching H&R pricing, over the past decade and more, that bore is quite a bit less desireable due, primarily, to the paucity of supply. My opinion, based up the above qualifications, is that 16 ga is a liability with regard to price/value when selling common, lower price range shotguns. Some highly collectible pieces may benefit from less common chamberings, but not the H&R Mod. 48, which morphed into the 58, 158, etc. and later models.
    I'm inclined to agree on the 75 to 80 bucks you are thinking of.