Model 686 fan

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Rugermanws, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Rugermanws

Rugermanws Member

2. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

A couple of fine looking Smith's! I dont own a 686 at the time and have passed on one
    used one (it was beat up bad) but still keep my eye's open.
    Seems in my area, you dont find very many "used" S&W's laying about.
  3. mesinge2

mesinge2 Member

Nice guns, I have a 586 myself, the blued version of the 686 and its a sweet shooter. A 686 in high on the want list!
  4. Rugermanws

Rugermanws Member

When you can buy one, I promise you wont be disappointed. Great guns; nice trigger pull and more accurate that I'll ever need.
  5. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Those are sure beauties. I don't have one but that doesn't mean I don't want one or two or.......:D
  6. noslolo

noslolo New Member

My first and only revolver is a 6inch brushed stainless 686, with a little trigger work. What a fantastic shooter. The trigger is so sweet! By far the best trigger I own. It is the only gun that my wife will shoot.
  7. Rugermanws

Rugermanws Member

Both of mine are the older models with the square butted frame. I found out the newer ones are more rounded I would assume for a smaller grips and for carrying. I usually shoot mine single action and have no problems with the trigger pull.
  8. ms6852

ms6852 New Member

I have an older 686,that I've owned for over 25 years, and it just get sweeter and sweeter with each year. In my opinion the action is smoother than the colt python which I own as well but not by a lot.

[​IMG]
  9. Redbeard

Redbeard New Member

I used to work a at firing range (many moons ago) and I always enjoyed shooting the 6" 686 they had. Fantastic piece. One of these days I will own one.
  10. Rugermanws

Rugermanws Member

I too have a 6 inch Python with rear outline sights and raised red front sight. I bought the first 686 with the 6 inch barrel so I could leave the Colt alone. I acquired the 4 inch when my uncle passed away most recently. I am of the same opinion about the triggers, both are very good and the Colt has only a slight advantage. Nothing like that "Royal Blue" finish on the Python in sunlight, I bought my Colt in 1985.
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2012