1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Model 925 help

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by wallyo, Jun 29, 2011.

1. wallyo

wallyo New Member

a friend has an H & R Model 925 break barrel revolver with the following information :
    serial no. AL 75662
    38 S & W
    H &R INC
    WORC MASS USA
    this is all of the stamping i can find on the frame.

i would like to be able to tell him the year of mfg and the approximate value. i would rate the condition as good.
    thank you for any help with this.
    wallyo
  2. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Wallyo,
    'AL' prefix indicates 1973.
    There are two variations of the .38 S&W Model 925. 1st is the 4" barrel with "magna" style grip frame and hard wood stained grip panels. The 2nd is the 2.5" barrel with a modified bird's head "plastic" wood grain two piece wrap around panels. The more common type is the short barrel and in good , between 80% and 90% the current RETAIL value is running in the $135 - $160 range. For the 4" barrel, add about $15 to $25. There is also a .22 version in the 4", that one is worth about 50 to 75% (per cent) more because of scarcity. ALSO, the .38s were made with live firing pin up to '73, next version had transfer bar iginition system, which your friend's piece should have and being made in '73 should also be the shorter barrel. The later version sells at RETAIL for about the same.

IMG_0142.jpg
    IMG_0130.jpg
  3. wallyo

wallyo New Member

jim,
    thanks for the information. i will pass it along.
    wo
  4. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

wallyo,
    You're welcome - thanks for thanking.
  5. pkcollector

pkcollector New Member

I have an H&R model 925, .22 caliber with a 2.5 inch barrel. It is listed in the H&R brochure dated 1964. I have yet to see a .22 version after watching *** ****** for years. The gun is in as new condition and has probably never been shot. I also have the box it came in. To register it in Michigan I had to document the caliber as the State Police had no record of this model being made in .22 Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks, Stan
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2011
  6. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

pkcollector,
    The Model 925 was "generally" made in .38 S&W - BUT (and that's a big but) - there was a limited run of .22 cal. pieces made - I've seen reference to them but have only come across one example and that one has a 4" barrel (it's also in my collection) - I've not seen one with the 2.5" barrel. The sibling model 926 (damn near identical to the Model 925) was produced in both .38 S&W and .22 rf. which is fairly commonly seen in the .22 chambering. Can/would you post a couple pics, including a close up of the markings on the left side of the frame just forward of the cylinder? Also, what type of grip does your .22 925 have?
    Check the pic attached for similarities.

IMG_0108.jpg