Model 94-30 loading gate issue.

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by cierraexpress, Dec 10, 2010.

1. cierraexpress

cierraexpress New Member

Has anyone ever experianced an issue with a pre 60s model 94-30 were the ammo loading gate will not open due to the ammo feed ramp is blocking the gate? I am able to open the action and if I push the ammo feed ramp down slightly the gate will clear, however if I push the feed ramp too far down the action will no longer cycle
    to correct this I have found that if I push the ammo feed tube follower in slightly and insert the end of the feed ramp and lift upwards on the backend of the feed ramp I can then cycle the action again.! but back to no clearance issue betwen the loading gate and the feed ramp.

Any advice would be appriciated.
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2010
  2. muddober

muddober Active Member

I have read your post about 10 times and the more I read it, the more confused I am. It sounds to me like you are perhaps trying to load the magazine (push in the loading gate) with the action open, which is something you cannot do, it has to be closed.

Lets start with the action closed and you not touching anything but the lever, can you fully cycle the action? If yes; then with the action closed can you push the loading gate in? If yes; then can you load the gun through the loading gate? If yes; then will the gun cycle the ammo? If yes the gun doesn't have a problem. If no to the first question, tell us again step by step what you have to do to open and close (cycle) the action and to push in the loading gate.

Ron
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2010
  3. GunHugger

GunHugger Well-Known Member

Is the screw on the on the right side that holds the loading gate tight?
  4. cierraexpress

cierraexpress New Member

I have confirmed that the gate screw is tight, with the action closed you can not open the gate. If I open the action and push down on the front of the feed ramp it will go down slightly but not enough to open the gate. If I push bown on the back half of the ramp I can get the clearance I need for the gate to open. If I push down on the feed ramp to far it seems to drop down too far and the action will no longer cycle. At this pointe the only way to get the action to cycle again is to depress the feed tube follower slightly, insert the end of the feed ramp slightly into the tube and lift up the back half of the feed ramp and then close the action. at this pointe the action will cycle but I am back to the gate not being able to open.

Thank you all very much.
    Rick
  5. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Sound like gunsmith time to me.

Jim
  6. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

It almost sounds like the finger lever is damaged but its one of those gotta see it situations. I agree with Jim. Lever actions have a whole timing thing that needs some expertise to deal with it.
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

someone prolly thought it would be cool to twirl it like the rifleman. this is bad juju on real leverguns....
  8. muddober

muddober Active Member

How did this problem first surface? Has the gun ever worked for you? Have you or anyone taken it apart? The only time I have seen a 94 act up it has always been from some type of operator error or neglect.

I would be happy to look at it for if you are any where near Reno Nevada. I also travel often to Seattle and all over California.

Ron