Model 94 Worth?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by banjodave, Jun 1, 2012.

1. banjodave

banjodave New Member

Greetings-

I have a very early Winchester saddle ring carbine 30-30. It still shoots. The bore is clean. I'm also wondering is there a careful way to remove some light rust here and there from it without devaluing it?

Attached Files:

• W1.jpg
      W1.jpg
      File size:
      262.6 KB
      Views:
    • W2.jpg
      W2.jpg
      File size:
      254 KB
      Views:
    • W3.jpg
      W3.jpg
      File size:
      347 KB
      Views:
    • W4.jpg
      W4.jpg
      File size:
      199.4 KB
      Views:
  2. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

Stainless steel scouring pads (preferably non-magnetic ones) often found in "Dollar Stores" are softer than ferric oxide (which is also called black rust and gun or steel bluing) but is significantly harder than ferrous oxide, which is called red or brown rust. Thus they can be usually be used with a good penetrating oil, like Kroil, PB Blaster, WD-40, etc., to gently cut the red rust off at the surface of blued steel. Be careful not to go crazy rubbing.

Your rifle was made in 1895 and is missing most of its ferric oxide coating. You do not want th scratch or polish the bare steel. I would try just a cloth and penetrating oil, first. If you elect to use the above mentioned method, be careful and pay attention to what you are doing.
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  3. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Kroil and a teflon pad.
  4. oneshot onekill

oneshot onekill New Member

That's a BEAUTY! I would leave it just the way it is! Just put a light coat of oil on it so it doesn't get any worse. If only that baby could talk!
  5. Bert H.

Bert H. Member

Hello banjodave,

Never use a steel or stainless steel pad on an old Winchester! If you need to remove active rust (and I did not see any in the pictures you posted), use Kroil and fine mesh copper wool pads. Apply a generous coat of Kroil, let it sit overnight, then wet the copper wool with fresh Kroil, and gently scrub the rust spots until they are clean of the rust. Always remove the stocks first if you intend to do anything more than just a spot touch-up.

Bert H.

Edit: Forgot to add... that is a very nice old Model 1894 SRC, completely original (unmessed with) and it is a bona fide "Antique' to boot. It was serialized on January 14th, 1898.
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  6. banjodave

banjodave New Member

I'm still wondering what its value is. Anybody?
  7. Bert H.

Bert H. Member

Dave,

Please post a close-up picture of the front sight, and the barrel mounted rear sight. Also, a close-up of the butt stock & butt plate.

Bert H.
  8. banjodave

banjodave New Member

I don't have access to it where I am. Next time I'm near it I'll shoot some more shots of it and post. Thanks.
  9. banjodave

banjodave New Member

Okay, here are more shots I took as requested in an effort to find the estimated value of this gun. The bore is nice and clean too, by the way.

Attached Files:

• 941.jpg
      941.jpg
      File size:
      323.9 KB
      Views:
    • 942.jpg
      942.jpg
      File size:
      292.3 KB
      Views:
    • 944.jpg
      944.jpg
      File size:
      263.7 KB
      Views:
    • 943.jpg
      943.jpg
      File size:
      310.1 KB
      Views:
  10. banjodave

banjodave New Member

Also, here's a shot of the rear barrel sight.

Attached Files:

• 945.jpg
      945.jpg
      File size:
      236.8 KB
      Views:
  11. Twicepop

Twicepop Well-Known Member

Don't try to remove the rust, it is now part of the persona of the old gun. Use WD-40 or Kroil on a paper towel, rub lightly to neutralize what is already there and allow it to become part of the patina of an old gun. This fine rust hurts nothing and will add to the future collectors value of the piece. The wood can be lightly rubbed with a solution of linseed oil and mineral spirits to slightly restore the appearance of it also, just a mild wiping and not a soaking.

those who beat their guns into plowshares, will plow for those who didn't