model 99f

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by hog83, Dec 23, 2010.

1. hog83

hog83 New Member

I have a savage model 99F that i was needing some info on. It was passed down to me from my grandfather and has been in the family for some time. I have had several offers to sell this rifle. Some have been very persistant, which got me wonderin what I might have if anything. I would app any info on this. Here are some pics i have taken. Any questions or if i need to take more pics jus let me know and I will. ty.

Attached Files:

2. steve99f

steve99f New Member

hog83,

Your rifle was produced in the late 50's making it a pre mil 99. That status is sorta like a pre 64 Winchester.

Value depends on your location, caliber, and condition. It looks like it's in nice condition. 308 and 300 Sav are common and should get you around 500 to 600 give or take. 243W, 250 Sav and 358W will get you more, 358 the most.

They are a classic rifle, could be one you would regret selling.
  3. hog83

hog83 New Member

Its a 243 win. I have no plan to sell it. One day my son will have it. thank you for your help.
  4. steve99f

steve99f New Member

Hold tight to that one! Sweet.
  5. hog83

hog83 New Member

I most certainly will. Is there more info that you "steve99f" can give me that has not already been given?
  6. 22shot

22shot New Member

hog83

There are two variations (collector wise) of the 99F "featherweight"; Pre and Post WWII.
    The "pre" didn't have a checkered stock; (1920-1942) the "post" did. (1955-1972)

The availible chamberings (post) were .243 Win.; .300 Sav.; .308 Win.

Worth used (post WWII) about $350-$400; depending on condition.
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
  7. steve99f

steve99f New Member

hog

There is a steel stamped date/inspection code near the serial number on the bottom of the receiever. May be poorly struck. The letter is the year code. Savage started doing this in 1949 with the letter A, B = 1950,C= 1951, etc. Some letters were skipped like O and Q. The number is an inspector number and means nothing now. The code is repeated on the lower tang under the butt stock.

The perception among Savage collectors is that quality nosedived with the move to Westfield, MA from Chicopee. This was in 1960. Except for unusual calibers, Westfield rifles are worth less to collectors. They are fine hunting rifles, top tang safeties except for the E model.

The 99 design is pretty strong and factory ammo is fine. If you handload you probably don't want to go with too many max loads.

Keep an eye on the top tang area of the butt stock, watching for signs of cracking in the wood. Keep the stock bolt tight but over tight. There are no torque specs. It's under the butt plate.
  8. hog83

hog83 New Member

After taking another look I saw this stamp and was wondering what it ment.

Attached Files:

9. steve99f

steve99f New Member

It's thought to be a proof mark. SP= Savage Proof.
  10. Gamemaster 760

Gamemaster 760 New Member

All you need to remember is that if the .243 came out in 1955 that the gun cannot be older then that.
    Add to that if it says Chicopee Falls that is had to be made before 1960.

That puts it in a 5 year time frame.
    You can contact the Savage owners club and have them date code the barrel and serial number if you want - but my guess is that your rifle is going to go down the road sometime soon when the selling price gets high enough.

People always say that they are going to hang on to it.
    Only to change their mind when the newest, latest and greatest gun comes along and a have to have scope and the old gun goes bye bye quicker then a fire cracker on the 5th of July.

These young kids are all brain washed by gun writers and public opinion that screams that you need maximum velocity and magnum power and a light weight gun to boot.
    The .243 was a awesome varmit gun - but never really intended as a deer gun.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.243_Winchester
  11. Doug B.

Doug B. New Member

I wouldn't be surprised, despite what Wikipedia says, you will run into opposition to this statement!
  12. steve99f

steve99f New Member

Yeah Remington thought that and lost with their 244 Rem. Winchester didn't think that with the 243W and won the marketing war.

Plenty of hunters use it for deer.