modified the most versatile choke?

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by john riley, Nov 19, 2006.

1. john riley

john riley New Member

I've been doing some research on what chokes to use for different applications, and from what I've seen modified appears to be the most versatile for average all around hunting. it seems to be reccomended for small game, can be used at moderate range for turkeys, can handle steel shot, and even slugs with questionable results, Cyl/or I cyl can do these as well but is apparently more limited in range and full choke is often to much fo steel shot and some slugs so it would seem that Mod. choke makes a versatile compromise between range and variety of activity, does this sound like a decent assumption or am I mistaken?
  2. John, your thinking is definitely right on target. A modified is by far the best choice overall since it will function at least adequately in nearly all situations encountered with a shotgun. A full choke is really only needed for truly long range stuff like pass shooting geese or ducks, or hunting jackrabbits in open country. A cylinder or improved cylinder choke is better, I think, for home-defense use, but a modified will still do the trick. For upland game--dove, quail, pheasant, etc.--a modified is by far the best choice.
  3. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

If you had to set on one choke the mod is a wise choice
    Usually I use a imp. for home defense and a full for hunting deer and turkey