modify Ruger Old Army

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by mooresridge9, Apr 25, 2011.

  1. mooresridge9

    mooresridge9 New Member

    Oct 7, 2009
    Is it possible to modify a Ruger Old Arms with two seperate cylinders as follows:
    1st cylinder as the gun is designed using round ball,powder and per cap-this is stock.
    2nd cylinder-cut a loading gate that will allow single cartridges to be loaded into the cylindeer similar to Colt and Remington.
    Has anyone ever tried this and if yes who would do the work and what might it costs.
  2. Jim K

    Jim K New Member

    Dec 6, 2009
    There already are conversion cylinders for the ROA (Google "Ruger Old Army Cnversion"), but they use a rear plate and require the cylinder be removed for loading. If I understand what you are proposing, I think maybe it could be done, but the hammer work alone would cost more than just buying one of the excellent Ruger revolvers that are already chambered for .45 Colt.


  3. ofitg

    ofitg Active Member

    Feb 25, 2010
    Here's a link to the Kirst conversion kit -

    Sounds like this would satisfy your requirements, and it's already on the market.
  4. Jim K

    Jim K New Member

    Dec 6, 2009
    That is one of several conversion cylinders, but as I understand it, Mooresridge's question involves a loading gate and a standard cylinder, a somewhat different proposition and one requiring heavy modification of the original revolver.

Similar Threads
Forum Title Date
Technical Questions & Information 1876 veterili anyone know how to modify bolt for 348 Winchester Jun 25, 2016
Technical Questions & Information Modifying a Remington 1100 Jan 3, 2012
Technical Questions & Information Making/modifying springs Oct 11, 2009
Technical Questions & Information Modifying a marlin 70PPS to take 17hm2 Jan 30, 2009
Technical Questions & Information Ruger 10/22 locked open Jan 2, 2017