modify Ruger Old Army

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by mooresridge9, Apr 25, 2011.

1. mooresridge9

mooresridge9 New Member

Is it possible to modify a Ruger Old Arms with two seperate cylinders as follows:
    1st cylinder as the gun is designed using round ball,powder and per cap-this is stock.
    2nd cylinder-cut a loading gate that will allow single cartridges to be loaded into the cylindeer similar to Colt and Remington.
    Has anyone ever tried this and if yes who would do the work and what might it costs.
  2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

There already are conversion cylinders for the ROA (Google "Ruger Old Army Cnversion"), but they use a rear plate and require the cylinder be removed for loading. If I understand what you are proposing, I think maybe it could be done, but the hammer work alone would cost more than just buying one of the excellent Ruger revolvers that are already chambered for .45 Colt.

Jim
  3. ofitg

ofitg Active Member

Here's a link to the Kirst conversion kit -

http://www.kirstkonverter.com/rugerarmy.html

Sounds like this would satisfy your requirements, and it's already on the market.
  4. Jim K

Jim K New Member

That is one of several conversion cylinders, but as I understand it, Mooresridge's question involves a loading gate and a standard cylinder, a somewhat different proposition and one requiring heavy modification of the original revolver.

Jim