Modifying a Remington 1100

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by 44stevenson, Jan 3, 2012.

1. 44stevenson

44stevenson New Member

I've got an old remington 1100 that i was to turn into a tactical gun, as my little project. Its a cheap gun, didn't spend much on, and already needs to be refinished as the blueing is wearing off. I don't want the scroll marks on the side of the gun if I do this but I need a way to fill the scroll work in. Are there any options out there to do so besides welding. I figured I could weld the crevasse's in and then just sand it all back down and the refinish the receiver, but I want to know from someone with more experience is this even possible?
  2. H-D

H-D Active Member

Fill it in with hi heat j b weld and refinish it in a duracoat black finish ,synthetic stock and forearm should look tacti-cool
  3. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

Don't weld. Unless you have some sophisticated machine tooling the receiver sides are not going to come out flat.

If you just absolutely cannot abide the scroll, my suggestion is to fill it with AcraGlas. That way you can scrape it fairly flat before it cures, then sand with 220 grit backed with a block. Sandblast the top of the receiver. Coat with CeraKote or Norrell's MolyCoat.
  4. 44stevenson

44stevenson New Member

I really had thought about the jb weld because if the surface is prepped properly and the jb weld is mixed properlly, I don't see that stuff going anywhere plus it would be easy to refinish afterwards.
  5. H-D

H-D Active Member

bead blast and degrease first and it should stick good