Modifying the M1 Grand...Gunsmiths??

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by ysacres, Mar 7, 2003.

1. ysacres

ysacres Well-Known Member

CaliCollector
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/14/02 6:43:28 am)
    Modifying the M1 Garand... Gunsmiths??
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ok i saw a post on another forum, it kind of got me thinking... is it possible to modify a M1 Garand to use BAR magazines?? can this be done safely, and funtion reliably?? i thought on it a bit, and im a far cry from a gunsmith of ANY sort, but it seems to me, that with alittle stock work, wielding plates to the outsides of the reciever to beef it up, and the stock work being notch the stock to accomidate those plates and of course a hole in the bottom for the mag to stick thru, with the rest of the mods so it will accept a mag, maybe with a carbine or ak style mag release?? sounds like it may make a rather good poor mans M14 or BM-59.. but can it be done, safely, and will it work, federal laws dont restrict things like this do they?? i dont even want to get into state laws about Californias mag limit... i do have some BAR mags around somewhere that i bought awhile back, just cause i got a good deal on them, and figured as an investment for a BAR collector if i ever found one..... only thing id be missing is the Garand.. whatcha all think??? Ray in California
    p.s. im actually "alil" excited about this one...
    "Beware the man with only one gun, chances are he KNOWS how to use it."

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (9/14/02 1:41:50 pm)
    Reply Re: Modifying the M1 Garand... Gunsmiths??
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ray, I'd say this would be one heck of an undertaking, resulting in one heck of an ugly rifle!

You would be better served getting ahold of an M1A in good shape and be satisfied with the detachable magazines on that one.
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

boeboe1
    (9/14/02 7:24:45 pm)
    Reply Modifying the M1 Garand... Gunsmiths??
    I have been wondering this very same thing. The Italians did it and came up with the BM59. I read an article in SGN that it was done in South America, in Brazil I think, maybe it was Argentina. There, the modified it to take FAL magazines. These were used in the Military for several years.

So, the Garand has been successfully modified to take FAL magazines and re-chambered for 7.62 NATO. It has also been successfully modified to take BM59 magazines, a horse of their own color, and re-chambered to 7.62 NATO. It stands to reason that it wouldn't be too difficult to use BAR magazines and keep them in the original 30-06.

SARCO is offering BM59 parts kits in Shotgun News, close to $500.00. You need a Garand receiver to start, and it needs to be modified to accept the BM59 magazines. I'm thinking by using BAR magazines, you wouldn't need the parts kit, and you could retain the original caliber.

I have a BM59. The South American versions were never imported into the States. I'm going to be looking into it, I think it would be on heck of a rifle.

kdub01, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but personnally, I think the BM59 is not only a better rifle than the M1A, it's a better looking gun as well. Particularly those BM59's marketed by Springfield Armory a few years back.

I hope someone can shed more light on this.

Tac401
    Administrator
    (9/14/02 10:52:43 pm)
    Re: Modifying the M1 Garand... Gunsmiths??
    They can be modified to M-14 Mags no poroblem!
    TFF VMBB Email Tac

boeboe1
    (9/15/02 1:43:56 am)
    Here's a site that says it's been done, but doesn't say how, or who to contact. I'll be looking, if you find out anything please post it.

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (9/15/02 10:07:24 am)
    boeboe....you're right about the BM59 being a modified Garand, but they were converted in Italy by Beretta.

BM59 = Beretta Military, 1959.

boeboe1
    (9/15/02 11:57:08 am)
    Xracer,

Correct on the BM59, I have one stamped both Beretta and Springfield Armory. But what I was saying is there were M1 Garands modified to accept FAL magazines in South America, they were not BM59's. And none of those were ever imported into the States. Those particular modified Garands were discussed a bit in a recent issue of SGN, when I have the time to dig through the water soaked issues of SGN in my bathroom, I'll find it and post more details. It seems, if a person were to modify a Garand to take detatchable magazines and wanted the 7.62 NATO, the FAL magazines would be the way to go (due to the low price). But it would be interesting to modify one to take BAR magazines and keep it in '06.

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (9/15/02 12:50:23 pm)

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (9/15/02 4:39:44 pm)
    OK boeboe....I misread what you'd said.

I've fired a couple of BM59s and like them better than the M1A.

CaliCollector
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/15/02 7:02:28 pm)
    ok so if i read properly, its NO problem to modify them to take a m-14 mag??? id like to be able to keep the original cartidge if i decided to try it.. im fairly familiar with the ol 30-06 and love it to death.. for me, the .308 comes in second, mainly just becuase im not as used to it and have more experience with the 06... BUT there is a rational or irrational appeal to rechambering it to .308... fal mags are dirt cheap right now.. so are cetme and g3 mags... but the part where i require clarification is "can it be done safely, and economically??" ill worry about researching the legal sides of it later.. california is wierd, but if i moved to a more friendly state.. i doubt thered be a prob with it.. so can it be done economically and safely?? ill be callin a gunsmith tommorrow with all the info i can get from you good people, and seeing what he says..
    Ray in California
    "Beware the man with only one gun, chances are he KNOWS how to use it."

TallTLynn
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (9/15/02 8:05:39 pm)
    Oh joy another 30-06 fan! I'm so glad I'm not the only one who thinks .308's come in second.

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (9/15/02 8:08:58 pm)
    Safely? By a competent gunsmith, yes.

Economically.......hmmmmm. It probably won't be cheap, but I guess it all depends on what you call economically.

boeboe1
    (9/15/02 9:13:08 pm)
    It's my understanding that the rational behind re-chambering them for 7.62 NATO is, it was just a NATO thing, and countries that were in NATO wanted that round.

It's also not too difficult to do with an '06 barrel, you cut the barrel down from the chamber end to shorten it to the 7.62 NATO round.

Several months ago I recall seeing a company that either had Garands modified to take M14 mags, or they would do it to yours, for a fee. I think the total cost, including the rifle, was around $800.00.

For the cost of M14 mags right now, I would lean towards modifying them to FAL mags. Then again, I think the '06 chamber with BAR magazines would be particularly interesting for one reason. While they made it illegal to manufacture, or dealers to sell armor piercing ammo for most calibers, including 7.62 NATO, for some reason they excluded 30-06 ammo from the list of armor piercing ammo that was prohibited. It is still legal to deal in '06 AP ammo. So, you could shoot legally obtained AP ammo in a Garand modified to take BAR magazines.

boeboe1
    (9/15/02 10:20:56 pm)
    Reply Garand BAR Mag Conversion
    This discussion on another board may be worth watching.

www.machinegunbooks.com/c...4&topic=22