moding - a favorite pastime

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Rowan Francis, Mar 22, 2010.

1. Rowan Francis

Rowan Francis New Member

moding a size lube press - a favorite pastime

I have been reloading 40 S&W for about ten years now , i have been thru many of the ups and downs of reloading for two different guns of the same caliber , as i use a Para P16-40 and my wife has a Bul M5 ..both in 40 S&W ..

I would like to share my latest project , i had just completed a few days of solid bullet head casting , i cast a 200 grain swc , i was stearing at the RCBS size lube machine and at the 5000 head pile of cast heads saying to myself , hmmm i wish there was a way of making sizeing and lubing easier or at least faster ..
    Well after a few days of throwing ideas around i went to go see a mate who uses pneumatics at his factory for making shoes and asked him if i could get a meduim size pneaumatic piston and foot pedal ..
    Well once i had that in hand i went to see my mate who is one of those engineering problem solvers guys , he can look at a problem for days but comes out with the simplest solution to the problem , well he came up with a real dandy .
    I am absolutely loving it , we attached a frame to the RCBS lube machine and removed the handle , the piston is driven by my compressor that is sitting outside that i use for spraypainting and stuff .. and what can i say , it's great , pictures i will attach and i am just trying to upload a little video that i took from my phone ..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEwf5oZMd2c

Let me know what you think ..

Cheers

Rowan

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  2. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

thats pretty awesome .. loved the video!
  3. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Now that's a neat bit of automation! Looks like a pretty slick time saver!
    Just make sure you don't get your fingers in the ram when you hit the pedal though! OUCH!!!

We use a lot of pneumatics at our plant too and I've schemed up a couple of new uses for air power around the farm...never thought of applying it on the reloading bench though.
  4. Rowan Francis

Rowan Francis New Member

seeing that i was on a roll with documenting my moding of my size lube press i thought i would add the other pics of what i have done .
    This mod i did years ago , i hated the fact that my beval edge cast bullets always had lube on thier bases when they came out of the press and that every 10 bullets i would have to get a tissue and clean out the sizing collett of the excess lube that would get squeezed into where the bullet sat , so off i went to my engineering mate .
    What he came up with was simple but only because i use one standard bullet, he made up a new top punch for the press that was a blank ie it is flat instead of the bullet shape , he then machined the bullet head profile out of the recieving collett that sits in the press , and hey presto , i now size my bullets "upside down" , it made sizeing a tad bit faster as i found that i could just drop the head into the collett and not worry as to how it sat as the top punch would always collect the head and seat it correctly and size it without problems .A nice little bonus is that any badly cast bullets that have a bit of flashing now dont have to be discarded as the flashing is forced towards the base of the bullet and does not get in anybody's way ..
    Now that i have added the pneaumatic piston the upside down bullet is the best option for keeping fingers out of the way as you can just drop the head in the collet and stand back ..
    see pic ....

Attached Files:

5. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

That is a sweeet idea. It got me thinking.... If it works that smooth on a bullet sizer, which doesn,t require a lot of ram force, why wouldn't it work on my press that I have dedicated to my universal decapping die. Already looking at Grainger for a cylinder. :D
  6. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Quick, get a patent!
  7. Rowan Francis

Rowan Francis New Member

the last mod i have done to my size lube was from a problem that steadily got worse , i think due to my slightly stiffer consistancy of homemade lube the back presure on the screw that pushes the lube started to wear the screw thread into the top nut on the press . It became more and more difficult to tighten the screw .
    What we managed to do is to machine a groove into the screw thread at the top and insert ball bearings into the gap , with the new improoved bearing contact tightening the screw is no longer a problem ..see the picture

Attached Files: