Molding slugs

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by bizy, Dec 11, 2009.

1. bizy

bizy New Member

I am looking for molds for #00 buck, #2 shot and 20 & 12 gauge slugs. I would like information for reloading 12 and 20 gauge slugs.

Thanks in advance..
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
  3. scrat

scrat New Member

4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

That was recommended to me. I've got one. Maybe it works with a bottom pour pot, but using a ladle, the mold doesn't fill. There's no sprue cutter, so you have to cut them loose with a pair of dikes. Because of that, they is a "unround" spot, so I don't think they are going to fly straight. I'm not impressed.
  5. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

6. scrat

scrat New Member

The trick is you have to heat up the mold as well. When you cast it is important to have the mold heated up so the lead does not solidify when hitting the mold. As for not being impressed on a flat spot. If your shooting this from a shotgun WHO CARES. Why do i say this. because the shot will not come out straight as it is. have you ever taken apart a shot gun shell. The shot is loaded with flat spots. In order for a projectile to go straight it has to spiral like a football being thrown. If your shooting it through a shot gun then it wont go straight it will curve like a pitcher throwing a baseball. if this did not happen and all the shot came out straight then in theory it would not pattern. the shot would go straight staying within 7/8 of an inch. this is not the case the shot has to spread to pattern. The do it mold is a very popular mold. no need to spend a fortune on a mold that makes perfect round balls to be bouncing around in a barrel and being shot in a pattern rather than going through a rifled barrel.
  7. scrat

scrat New Member

balistic products are great. a very good site for information and more knowledge on shot gun reloading is shotgun world.com. Shot gun loading is a bit more complicated than regular reloading. Same time shot can be very expensive. As for where to get shot at a descent price. Check your area for trap shooting (skeet shooting clubs). Most of the time you can get reclaimed shot from them at a pretty good price. This is where i go. Same time if they sell reloading components you can usually get them pretty cheap. as for shot gun loaders. Nothing beats a MEC. however i have the lee loader the lee loader jr and the lee load all. I have found they work just as good. I also reload shotgun in black powder. Those are very fun to shoot. I wrote an article a few years ago on THR on shotgun loading the old way. Its very easy to load shotgun. However it can be confusing as there are a ton of load data for shotguns.