Mole hunting with a .22?

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Trevor1837, Sep 24, 2011.

1. Trevor1837

Trevor1837 New Member

Hey guys I have a serious mole problem and was wondering if it possible to hunt moles with a .22. I have plenty of land so it won't disturb the neighbors, just wondering if anyone had any experience tips or tricks thanks
  2. Trevor1837

Trevor1837 New Member

I don't know if I have moles or gophers... Haven't managed to spot one of the pesky critters yet
  3. Brisk44

Brisk44 New Member

I think I'd just get a few mole traps.
  4. Trevor1837

Trevor1837 New Member

Yeah but that costs money and isn't nearly as fun haha
  5. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

Yes, it can be done with a .22. I've found a 12 gauge to be a lot easier, though.

The best cure for moles or gophers is a good dog. The dog has better patience & determination, and the dog probably doesn't have anything else to do all day. My pup (lab/husky mix) keeps the area around our house free of all kinds of critters, from foxes down to mice. She's never caught a fox, but I've watched her run one off, and I've seen her kill raccoons, opossums, squirrels, mice, snakes, Canada geese, moles, and probably other things I've forgotten. She's always proud of what she's done, so they always end up in the driveway for us to see. :rolleyes: But I'm glad she does it.

A good dog is excellent company, too.
  6. mr.t7024

mr.t7024 Member

Sounds like fun, make a movie for us!:):)
  7. Trevor1837

Trevor1837 New Member

Mrt I'll consider it haha
  8. Trevor1837

Trevor1837 New Member

I have a dog half lab half mastiff, not much Into chasing critters except squirrels and geese. Bileve me I've tried
  9. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

hunt em with firecrackers. Make it a habit to go out once or twice a day and drop bits of food down the holes. after a week or so theyll recognize your arrival means a free meal, then on that fateful day drop em some water dynamite instead.. :D
  10. mr.t7024

mr.t7024 Member

Trevor, I like your style!:)
  11. Chinook

Chinook New Member

We had a guy with one of these propane/oxygen injection machines. They introduce a gas mixture into the hole, and depending, on specie, depth, soil density/make-up, they let the gas flow for as long as 2 minutes before ignition...Shotguns are about as loud, so its not for "city" settings really. But we found a mole control guy from their website.

http://www.rodenator.com/pests-controls-videos-rodenators
  12. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

bout a pound of semtex should do it..:D
  13. mjpchief

mjpchief Member

I use a shovel. Go out early in the morning and walk down all mole runs. Go back around 11:00 am and look for fresh run. Wait patiently for mole to move and sock shovel behind him and roll him out on ground. Cut in half with shovel and bury remains back in hole.

22 would be fine except for neighbors. Shot gun makes a big mess. Dad had a Bluehealer that would kill moles. Only problem with the dog is that he would dig a hole big enough to use for a basement.
  14. mikld

mikld Active Member

Yes! A .22 rifle would be great fun. If noise were a prob, get some .22 shorts. I once had a mouse in our laundry room that ignored traps. I sat on the washer with my Ruger Single Six and waited for it to show. Missed on the first night but nailed it on the second! I had a mess to clean up (.22 Mini-Mag HP) but no more mouse...
  15. Trevor1837

Trevor1837 New Member

I like the idea I have plenty of land for a .22 think the neighbors might hear that though :)