Mole hunting with a .22?

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Trevor1837, Sep 24, 2011.

1. Trevor1837

Trevor1837 New Member

What'd you do with the holes in your wall?
  2. marlin795

marlin795 New Member

Calvary Chapel Conference Center; Murrieta,CA
    Growing up my friends and I would gopher hunt from his front porch out in the country. We would see they were out then sit outside in chairs with good ol bolt action .22s drinking soda and popping gophers all day. Great fun. lol the most I ever got was like 3 with iron sites. Wish I had my 795 with it's scope then, many more gophers would be dead.
  3. Regular Joe

Regular Joe New Member

The Israeli Mossad hunts "Moles" with .22's, with excellent success. If noise is a problem with a rifle, use subsonic HP ammo. With a 20" or longer barrel, the sound can't be heard beyond your yard. There is a great variety to be found. Most of the "big box" sporting goods stores will have the Australian made Winchester, or the CCI entry. If you have to buy online, Midway and Cheaper than Dirt usually have the Aguila 38 gr. SSHP for about $32/brick.
  4. mikld

mikld Active Member

HeHe, slide the dryer 2" to the left...
  5. brad87

brad87 Former Guest

Remington also makes subsonic .22 LR's HP's and are easier to find around here, and cheaper than the CCI's (when you can find them) but CCI are the only ones who still make standard velocity shorts. If only they'd shoot worth a damn for me I'd use em more.

Also, how does one go about hunting moles with a 22 unless you plan on standing above a run you previously caved in and just blasting away when you see them clearing it back out?
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

seriously though. you could try to flood them out. Just put the waterhose down one of the holes and let it rip. Then stand back with a .22 and wait. If they dont come up they drown.. its a win win.
  7. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Well-Known Member

Buy a can. $200 tax stamp + whichever silencer you prefer...MUCH quieter :D
  8. Trevor1837

Trevor1837 New Member

I said I have plenty of land for a .22 to not be heard by neighbors, I was saying I don't have enough land for a pound of Semtex :D
  9. Trevor1837

Trevor1837 New Member

I like the way you think! :D
  10. G-Mann

G-Mann Member

The trouble with mole hunting, or just waiting for the top soil to rise to whack em with a shovel is that they can detect movement from you walking around up to 20 ft away. I have killed a few but, it takes a lot of patients.
  11. jrinfoley

jrinfoley New Member

I have popped a few with my Ruger MKI. Just luck though, I was out in the yard with my pistol when I saw them tunneling right in front of me both times. Actively hunting them would be frustrating though.
  12. GERTIEGUY

GERTIEGUY New Member

I've also have done the walk down-smash the runs, then go out and look for new dirt, put a large nail, spike,stick, anything to block off the ends on both sides of the new dirt. Take your garden hose and stick into the run and turn the water on and wait, moles need air so they will start sticking their head or nose up (see the dirt moving) and I take them with a 22 CB.
  13. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Screw it, just call in an air strike.
  14. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

I run an exshaust line off my generator into the hole to gas'em. The water hose rarely ever works for me, too many tunels. It usually results in hundreds of gallons of wasted water. Any gas powered engine works but you gotta use a metal flex hose on it, oven gas line for example.