moly question

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by 782 guy, Jul 29, 2012.

1. 782 guy

782 guy New Member

I've used both factory lubri-plated ammo in my 995 sako warbird as well as moly coated 180 accubonds but now i have found that the unlubed 165 accubonds are about as accurate as you can get. what I'm wondering is if using up my moly coated bullets will have any affect on the accuracy I'm getting from the unlubed 165's. Maybe it's my immagination but I almost think that the few moly coated bullets that I shot may have helped season my barrel early on. Anyhow your opinions and experiences are appreciated. If it would have a negative effect i would just scrap them.
    Thanks for your time.
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Ive heard tell if you start with moly dont use anything else.. But in my personal experiences, having flipped and flopped indescriminantly, they both are just as accurate as each other. Copper has a natural lubricity under pressure when its being forced thru a much harder metal like ordnance grade steel. So in my mind theres really no need to use moly and my experiences tell me it isnt going to hurt to finish your stash of moly before switching to non coated projectiles.
  3. myfriendis410

myfriendis410 Member

I found out about moly coating bullets and here's my conclusion: sure it works to the point that it reduces velocity by 100+ fps in my 7mm r.m. So, to get the velocity BACK up to what it ways I have to increase the powder charge. Basically pointless (in my application) other than to cost more money to shoot the same load.

I thoroughly scrubbed the barrel after my experiment and was no worse off than before.
  4. 782 guy

782 guy New Member

Well, thanks. I noticed the drop in velocity as well. I think I'll look at getting some other 180's loaded up. I heard of guys molying their whole barrel before instead of the bullets. It sure is interesting how Lazzeroni plates their bullets. When I use them fouling is so minimal. Of course the process is supposed to be some kind of secret.
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

drop in velocity is due to drop in friction between the bore and bullet which causes a drop in pressure which causes your drop in velocity. Adding more powder gives you the velocity back at the expense of load economy...
  6. myfriendis410

myfriendis410 Member

Exactly my point.
  7. Twicepop

Twicepop Well-Known Member

Sinclair's now owned by Brownells, put out a book several years ago that had a chapter about the use of Moly. In the story they took some barrels that had been shot with and with-out moly and sectioned them, so they could be put under very close scruitiny in their lab. They went on to say that after the Moly had been stripped from the sectioned barrels they found corrosion and pitting under the moly deposits like they had never seen before. In conclusion they also said that they would never let Moly touch any of their barrels again. A friend of mine that has studied chemistry at the collegiate level, said that Moly, oxygen and atmospheric humidity combine and make for an acidic condition inside of your barrel, and that the effects of this are intensified with the high friction, pressure and high temperature when shooting. He also has a what was a very good Kreiger barrel on a rifle that since shooting moly bullets doesn't have the accuracy edge that it did before. With what the people at Sinclair's said and after what happened to my friend rifle, I wouldn't let Moly touch anything of mine.

those who beat their guns into plowshares, will plow for those who didn't