Mom Was Not Thrilled

Discussion in 'Vietnam Memories Forum' started by Guest, Mar 11, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

SixTGunr
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/30/02 3:26:58 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Mom Was Not Thrilled
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Though I did'nt realize it at the time I just had to go on yet to another battlefield. I was thirty years old at the time. Had the wife and two children and was making a rather good income at carpentry and living good. Though everthing appeared the norm on the outside I was carryin' around all this hate and anger within and figured maybe I could turn things around here and do something good for a change with what had been eating me up inside.

I remember well the look my mother gave me when I came to tell her that I had applied for the police department. Not giving any thought to all the concern she went through during my tour In Country I had to go and strap on a weapon and go out into the battles on the streets. Though she knew it was what made me happy (moms are like that ya know) I could see the concerns coming back in her eyes yet she stood behind me all the way even though the worry mode kicked back into high gear.

In any case I did a ten year stint on the streets as a uniformed patrol officer in a major metropolitan area which now makes me eligible for two books to write. Kinda went from one extreme to another and though my mother and family thought I had a screw lose after surviving Nam only to go out and ask for more I gotta tell ya it felt great. Got involved in just about everything imagimeable here too but it got to start taking another toll on me after ten years and I knew it was time.

No doubt in my mind that it was a move for the better for all concerned including myself but looking back it was an addition to an era of which I feel was the best years of my life. Photos, letters of commendation, plaques and memories are all that remain from the battles fought on the streets here in America. After all that fighting in the streets in Hue City and then to come home and fight in the streets of my home town I gotta admit that "Mom Was Not Thrilled".

Ya'll have a great weekend! Six

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"What more can I say ..... I was at the wrong place at the wrong time"

SixTGunr
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/30/02 3:46:28 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Mom Was Not Thrilled
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Regarding a uniformed officer with a beard ..... Our mayor allowed all officers this one time luxury (at our discretion) throughout the year which marked the citys cenntenial. We had 99% uniformity with the beards and you shoulda seen the looks we got from the citizens when we bolted out of our patrol units :).

Wounded In Action. They did'nt give out purple hearts in our city but if they had I would have four in all. Lived to tell about it but I was shot in the hand (ricochet actually) due to an accidental discharge of my partners firearm while we fought it out with this great big bad guy who did not wish to go along with the program. Oh yea ... Did'nt tell mom about that one :). Six

TallTLynn
    *VMBB Staff*
    (3/30/02 6:06:20 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Mom Was Not Thrilled
    SixTGunr - the beard is distinguished and I'm amazed you went for that kind of punishment after Nam. I know several vets who did what you did and it still amazes me.

Glad you survived both tours (in country and out) and thank you for telling us bits and pieces of the history behind you.

Winter11
    V.I.P. Member
    (4/1/02 1:50:33 pm)
    You know... I've seen the top pic before and gotta say I was really surprised, as T said... that you'd choose to go into this line of duty... especially after all that you've witnessed and been a part of already!

Just goes to show you.... you're a helluva person Six.... absolutely amazing!!!! :)

OH, and.... I kinda like the beard.... you wear it well! (hehe) But, it covers up that good lookin' face of yours! ;)

Always Faithful

haggai69
    (4/1/02 2:47:52 pm)
    I have to agree with the beard comment, Winter. I do like the beard. Makes you look more like a biker than a cop though Six.
    A lot of the security personell where I work are former cops and vietnam vets. I guess it has something to do with the protection factor... and being able to carry a gun?!
    What city is this that you were a cop in? I'm guessing most other's know, but I'm not sure I know where you are from yet.

SixTGunr
    V.I.P. Member
    (4/1/02 3:15:03 pm)
    Law enforcement was sometime back (left in 1987) in Hammond, Indiana in the very northwest corner of the state on the southern tip of Lake Michigan. Cross over the state line and you'd be in the south side of Chicago. The whole place was a rather rough neighborhood. Have a good one. Six