Mom's Find

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by 3/2 STA SS, Jun 17, 2012.

1. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

While away on vacation my step dad passes away. Go to Mom's house today and she handed me a bag and asks "what is this worth?" "I found it in our safe."
    It is a Remington 41 Rimfire derringer with what appears to be factory engraving on 50% of the pistol,wood grips,the proper markings on the top strap(Remington Arms, Ilion, NY DEC.1865 or 69,its kinda worn) and the SN 2695 on the bottom of the barrels when lifted up.
    It appears to be in about 65% condition and appears to function w/o dry firing it. Any idea what is worth. She wants to sell it I know.
    I will get a pic of it this week I did not today as I did not have my phone availible.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 29, 2012
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

There's a problem. Remington did not assign "serial numbers" to those guns so much as "tracking numbers". They went from 001 to 999, then started over. You should not have a four-digit number.
  3. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

I will look again-there was alot going on. I could have sworn that is what I saw.
  4. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Also look closely at the hinge, as often cracked which lowers value significantly.

Clear closeup photos will be needed to rate condition; cell phone photos won't do.
  5. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

There were no cracks in the hinge area and trust me I tried to get it but I got a Bersa Thunder 9mm instead...now I am just trying to help Mom not get taken. I will have them this week.
  6. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Can you get pictures? Those guns can run to $2000, but there is no way to tell without some good pictures (not out of focus cell phone pics, please.)

The engraving, if high quality could increase the value. Ultimately, of course, value is what someone will pay for it.

Jim
  7. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

I am going there this Friday with a good camera....

Attached Files:

8. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

I have pictures and I will down load them today....
  9. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

A few more...

Attached Files:

10. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

ok guys new pictures see if u can help
  11. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

Thanks Beth...I am sure someone can
  12. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Thanks for adding pics. Unfortunately, the first pic showing left side shows the hinge on that side is cracked.
    (View of the other side is too blurred to tell if right hinge is also cracked)

It appears to be what Flayderman lists as the "Type I, Late Production A.K.A. Model No. 2" for which he lists value in Good Condition of $325, but states a cracked hinge will lower value up to 50%.

It's a well worn gun with no original finish, and don't know if the moderate engraving is factory or not, but adds some appeal. My WAG of value would be in $200-$300 area.
  13. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

Thanks-I never even noticed the crack until you pointed it out,I thought it was part of the hinge actually. Now it's plain to see. The right side has none on the hinge (4th picture in first group). I am sure at that price she will keep it. Thanks again!!
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2012
  14. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Two notes. First, do NOT try to fix that hinge. To any collector, a cracked hinge will be preferable to one that has been welded or brazed. Second do not "flip" the gun open; that, not firing, is what cracks or breaks those hinges.

Jim
  15. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

Thanks Jim...I never "flipped it" open I just can't believe it was type of gun I have always made fun of...my Mom will probably keep it unless the right person came along. She wants a shotgun for HD.