Monarch Ammo

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by phlmorgan, Feb 22, 2007.

1. keokeboy

keokeboy Member

went to the range today,100 rd fired 9mm [slim 709 o problems. 100 rds fired 40 s&w [glock 27] 0 problems. 100 rds fired 45acp [kimber compact] 0 problems. I was really happy and accuracy was great compare to winchester target ammo.
  2. nickpick2

nickpick2 New Member

have to say I fired 50 rnds 3 days ago through my Ruger P95, 0 problems. Today however, after buying 3 more boxes, it jammed every other shot, and these were bad jams. Put in Remington 115 FMJ and not one hitch in 100 rnds. I wanted to like it because of the price, but for my Ruger.... it is just way too inconsistent.
  3. bayhawk2

bayhawk2 New Member

Monarch sucks.cheap and under powered.My experience with them
    is to never buy another box.
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
  4. mkshill

mkshill New Member

I agree totally with Bayhawk2. That ammo doesn't print well. burns dirty, and causes jams. I bought it to loosen up a new gun just a bit, not to depend on, but it's not even good for breaking in a new gun. What crap!
  5. Brisk44

Brisk44 New Member

Never heard of it.
  6. The Duke

The Duke New Member

ive a bud who shoots the stuff for his retired officer POST cert. every year...shoots just fine in his sig 226 at 25 yds max.. i remember academy selling 9mm cci blazer aluminium cased for 3.89/50 a few years bacl...bought a case wish id bought several more...

monark is the academy proprietary cheap stuff brand..prob nothing more than wolf in a different box...good enough to plink with and not too much else id say...ive shot a little in 92f...smokey and dirty, but ok to shoot...no malfunctions..
  7. The Duke

The Duke New Member

graehaven...me too with privi. 223...i recently compared it with s&b and mil fmj...it shoots fine in both the ar and fs2000...ill buy it anyday if on sale...havent knowingly shot any pp handgun ammo...
  8. billroberts1204

billroberts1204 New Member

I bought 40 rnds of 100 gr Monarch .243 and went to the range yesterday. Groups were tight and brass survived first fire fine. On reload, if there are problems I will certainly report back. I shoot only my re-loads on game but my first experience with Monarch was good.
  9. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

Put me in the no good camp. At least for the 30-30 Monarch ammo. The rim was too thick. Couldn't even get one to chamber correctly in my Win. 94. The rest of it ,I just stay away from.
  10. Bud0505

Bud0505 Member

I've fired a 100 rounds or so of .45 ACP in my Kimber. It all cycled and fired just fine. But it does to seem to be dirtier than WWB or Federal.

r/Bud
  11. hhowell1990

hhowell1990 New Member

Cheap ammo that isn't accurate at all, just shot 20 rounds through my 30-06 at the range and it was all over the paper at 50 yards, and i had my rifle in a stand, shot 20 rounds of winchester super-x and got all 20 within a 3" circle, worth the extra $2-3 for american made ammo
  12. bruiser1240

bruiser1240 New Member

I recently purchased box of Monarch .243 ammo @ Academy. My daughter tried sighting her gun in. 3 of the bullets had the primer popped but shells failed to fire. i wont be buying this cheap junk again.
  13. MobileMarine

MobileMarine New Member

I purchased a Ruger 9Rc for my wife a few months ago and when we went to the range to use it, I had a box of Monarch 9mm and after 2 rounds it failed to extract completely and created a jam. After this happened a few more times I changed to Remington ammo and no further problems. My experience and, according to the comments I am reading on here, tells me to stay away from the Monarch ammo. Thank you for the reinforcement.:)
  14. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Did not realize this was a zombie-thread. 3rd post saying brass-cased reloadable 9mm for less than six bucks???? WHERE??? I MUST GO BUY SOME!!!!!

What's that? 2007? Never mind. :p
  15. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

1st time I saw it too.

that's cheap brass...

i know walmart sometimes ahs 100rnd packs.. but not sure if it is target only grade.. ie.. lower laods?
  16. Bud0505

Bud0505 Member

I've shot several hundred rounds through my Kimber .45ACP. Other than it being a dirty ammo it functioned fine. Haven't tried to reload the cases yet. Having said that I probably won't buy any more but would opt for WWB instead.
  17. soundguy

the win and umc 100rnd packs at walmart.. anyone use those? are they reduced load?

i didn't state the question clear before?
  18. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I've got an MP40. Blowback submachine gun. It gobbles up Winchester White Box 115 9mms like they were M&Ms.

With UMC Yellowbox, howsomever, it has problems.

WWB, you can pull the trigger and hold it and it will burn through 32 rounds.

UYB, might get 4 or 5 in a row, but then it will stop.

They have enough power to move the bolt back against the spring far enough to eject the empty, but not quite enough to push it back just that little bit more to pick up the next round.

So, some of them are full power and some of them aren't. That, to me, says "INCONSISTENT". I don't like inconsistent ammo. So, once I got through that 1000-round case I bought, I never bought any more. And I gave up on shooting it through the sub-gun real early, and used it in pistols. Plenty of power to work a pistol slide. No malfunctions.

But logic says that if one out of five does not have enough umph to push the bolt back, that means one out of five have less power than the other four, which means one out of five will hit in a different spot.

So I used 'em for plinking ammo, and traded 'em off to other people. And won't buy any more.
  19. soundguy

good to know. so the white box is ok though.

thanks
  20. stev32k

stev32k Well-Known Member

I shot 250 rounds of the monarch in my M&P 9c and didn't have a problem. There were no jams of any kind. The gun loaded, fired, and cycled just like it should. I have another 200 rounds that I'll shoot next week.