Monarch Ammo

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by phlmorgan, Feb 22, 2007.

1. hhowell1990

hhowell1990 New Member

Cheap ammo that isn't accurate at all, just shot 20 rounds through my 30-06 at the range and it was all over the paper at 50 yards, and i had my rifle in a stand, shot 20 rounds of winchester super-x and got all 20 within a 3" circle, worth the extra $2-3 for american made ammo
  2. bruiser1240

bruiser1240 New Member

I recently purchased box of Monarch .243 ammo @ Academy. My daughter tried sighting her gun in. 3 of the bullets had the primer popped but shells failed to fire. i wont be buying this cheap junk again.
  3. MobileMarine

MobileMarine New Member

I purchased a Ruger 9Rc for my wife a few months ago and when we went to the range to use it, I had a box of Monarch 9mm and after 2 rounds it failed to extract completely and created a jam. After this happened a few more times I changed to Remington ammo and no further problems. My experience and, according to the comments I am reading on here, tells me to stay away from the Monarch ammo. Thank you for the reinforcement.:)
  4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Did not realize this was a zombie-thread. 3rd post saying brass-cased reloadable 9mm for less than six bucks???? WHERE??? I MUST GO BUY SOME!!!!!

What's that? 2007? Never mind. :p
  5. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

1st time I saw it too.

that's cheap brass...

i know walmart sometimes ahs 100rnd packs.. but not sure if it is target only grade.. ie.. lower laods?
  6. Bud0505

Bud0505 Member

I've shot several hundred rounds through my Kimber .45ACP. Other than it being a dirty ammo it functioned fine. Haven't tried to reload the cases yet. Having said that I probably won't buy any more but would opt for WWB instead.
  7. soundguy

the win and umc 100rnd packs at walmart.. anyone use those? are they reduced load?

i didn't state the question clear before?
  8. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I've got an MP40. Blowback submachine gun. It gobbles up Winchester White Box 115 9mms like they were M&Ms.

With UMC Yellowbox, howsomever, it has problems.

WWB, you can pull the trigger and hold it and it will burn through 32 rounds.

UYB, might get 4 or 5 in a row, but then it will stop.

They have enough power to move the bolt back against the spring far enough to eject the empty, but not quite enough to push it back just that little bit more to pick up the next round.

So, some of them are full power and some of them aren't. That, to me, says "INCONSISTENT". I don't like inconsistent ammo. So, once I got through that 1000-round case I bought, I never bought any more. And I gave up on shooting it through the sub-gun real early, and used it in pistols. Plenty of power to work a pistol slide. No malfunctions.

But logic says that if one out of five does not have enough umph to push the bolt back, that means one out of five have less power than the other four, which means one out of five will hit in a different spot.

So I used 'em for plinking ammo, and traded 'em off to other people. And won't buy any more.
  9. soundguy

good to know. so the white box is ok though.

thanks
  10. stev32k

stev32k Well-Known Member

I shot 250 rounds of the monarch in my M&P 9c and didn't have a problem. There were no jams of any kind. The gun loaded, fired, and cycled just like it should. I have another 200 rounds that I'll shoot next week.
  11. gandog56

gandog56 Member

Well Win 7.62X54R ammo is actually made by someone else with WIN putting THEIR headstamp on it. And it has VERY tight primer pockets. I no longer use any kind of hand Primer tool for them. Have to use my Ramprime. Slows down the reloading. Sorta reminds me of S&B cases. Does S&B do the same thing and get their cases from the same manufacturer, or does S&B actually make the Win brass in the first place?
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  12. soundguy

who makes some brass reloadable 762x54r? i newed to shoot some so I can relaod it..
  13. flboots

flboots Well-Known Member

I've used monarch ammo. Haven't had problems with it. I do like Winchester's 9mm 124gr nato ammo.
  14. gandog56

gandog56 Member

S&B, Winchester, Lapua, Norma, and Prvi Partizan come to mind. For a while there I was getting boxer primed fully loaded 7.62X54R 150 Grain FMJBT ammo with boxer cases with a headstamp of JMS. $5 for a bag of 20, and I bought a LOT of them bags, just for the cases, though the stuff shot well. No longer seeing it out there any more.

I think I have some Hornady in there, too.
  15. soundguy

i'll have to dig thru my stuff and see if I have any yet.

i bet i might have a half a box of norma left over from the old pre-reloading days...