Mondays a Holiday

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 22WRF, Jan 13, 2006.

1. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

Don't for get it's Robert E. Lee's birthday.(1807-1870)

Lee graduated from West Point and distinguished himself in the Mexican War 1846-48. In 1861 he joined the army of the Confederacy of Southern states; in 1862 he received the command of the Army of Northern Virginia and won the Seven Days' Battle defending Richmond, Virginia, the Confederate capital, against General McClellan's Union forces. In 1863 Lee won victories at Fredericksburg and Chancellorsville, both in Virginia, and in 1864 at Cold Harbor, Virginia, but was besieged in Petersburg, Virginia, June 1864-April 1865. He surrendered to General Grant on April 9, 1865, at Appomattox Courthouse. Following the war he was paroled and served as president of Washington College (now Washington and Lee University). His home had been seized by Union forces and now is part of Arlington National Cemetery.

Attached Files:

2. How could anyone forget the birthday of the greatest general officer ever to trod boot leather? Personally, I think Lee's birthday should be made a national holiday in place of King's, not that those damnyankees would ever consent to it. :D
  3. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

Five states - Arkansas, Florida, South Carolina, Tennessee and Alabama - mark Robert E. Lee's birthday as a state holiday Virginia has Lee-Jackson Day
  4. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

:D :D :D I think that all states should have Lee Day :D :D :D

Course that could be cause I am one too :eek: :p ;)
    Ron
  5. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

I hear that here too. since I'm married to a Lee
  6. Perhaps we should proclaim a Lee day here on TFF. In honor of the day, Polishshooter could refrain from outrageous statements, Kimberman could endorse Glocks, and 358 could swear off lotto tickets (just for a day, of course). ;) :D
  7. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

Married one of my cousins did you :cool: :rolleyes: ;)
    bet she is the best thing that happened to you :D :D :D

Swear off the lotto oh man you are pushing my button now :eek:
    only chance I have of being rich is to win the lotto :)
  8. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

Robert E. Lee, an exemplary student at West Point and one of the most brilliant military minds this country has ever seen. I think ever the Yankees would grant you this much, too.

Happy Robert E. Lee Day on Monday.

Attached Files:

9. Gabob

Gabob Well-Known Member

Tomorrow night BJ and I are attending the local Lee-Jackson Supper held annually by the Sons of Confederate Veterans. We have a very active SCV camp here. The commander is one of the most knowledgeable people I have ever known in matters of history of the War of Northern Aggression.
    He(Bob Kornegay) also is author of the book "Buddies and Bobtales" about his outdoor misadventures. One of his books redneck characters is "Cletus Monroe". I introduced BJ to Bob as Cletus's sister. I will get out of the doghouse in a few years.
  10. flopshot

flopshot New Member

as a former 'yankee' (been here longer than i was there) , i have no problem acknowledging the fact that if Lee had the industrial assets of the north, things would have been different. great mind, small war chest. as far as 01/16, even though they were liberals, we have lost two Kennedy's in service to their country. no holiday. most small businesses can't close for veterens day, memorial day in the south means nothing, i cut off two finger tips in 93 on that day so i can remember it just fine thankyou. yeah, one was the middle finger which i proudly display annually when asked if we're closed for the holiday. i'm still waiting for immigrant history month or Italian appreciation day. yeah , right. funny, i didn't realize how much that crap ticks me off.
  11. buffalo jump

buffalo jump New Member

:mad: :mad: :mad: I've never celebrated kings(small letter) birthday. It has always been Gen. Lees. :D :D :D :D :D
  12. BlkHawk73

BlkHawk73 New Member

You southern boys can have your Lee day, that's okey dokey. Up here though we've got another day all to ourselves - Patriots Day.
    "The shot heard 'round the world continues to reverbate. Each April, Massachusetts and Maine celebrate Patriots Day in honor of the battles and skirmishes that began our fight for independence."
  13. Kimber Man

Kimber Man New Member

Let's just have a Holiday.............for no reason at all...............that's even better
    :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
  14. hillbilly_joe

hillbilly_joe New Member

Happy Robert E. Lee Day
  15. dixie rules!

dixie rules! New Member

I hate to rain on everybody's parade.....

But Robert E. Lee's birthday is on the 19th. I probably shouldn't point that out, but I'm just trying to be historically correct. Not that i wouldn't much rather celebrate his birthday instead.

HAPPY ROBERT E. LEE DAY!!!