Montgomery Ward 12 ga help

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by patchemt, Dec 13, 2012.

1. patchemt

patchemt New Member

Hello all,

I am not sure if this is the right place to post this, I am new here, and I am this has been asked many times before but after a search I am still not able to find much information.

I recently acquired an old 12 gauge double barrel SxS. It says "Hercules" with "Montgomery Ward and Co." underneath on one side of the lock and "Pat. Apr. 20 1915" on the other. On the top of the left barrel it has "Proof Tested 12 GA." The barrel length is 30 inch. That is all of the writing it has on it.

My question is, who actually made it, when was it made and what is it worth. I would also like to know where I can find some more information on this shotgun. Overall it is in pretty good condition. I would guess it to be between 90-95%. I have read that it could be a Stevens Model 5100 but I can't find a model 5100 listed in the Blue Book.

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to offer.
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Iver Johnson, according to the 3rd Edition of Gun Marks.
  3. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

so how old is it and is it worth anything?
  4. WHSmithIV

WHSmithIV Well-Known Member

First of all, welcome to the forum and second, this is certainly the right place to ask the question.

As for value, there are a lot of variables that determine value. Overall condition, bore condition, does it fire etc. The best way to get the guys here to be able to help is to post some pics here of the shotgun. In general, these old shotguns tend not to be worth too much, though in exceptionally fine condition will bring in a few hundred bucks. In very poor condition they aren't very valuable. As an example, I just bought a very early 1950's Sears shotgun that needs a fair amount of cleaning up and refinishing for 58 bucks. So, post some pics and we'll go from there :)

Note: to post pics, click the 'Go Advanced' button instead of the 'Post Quick Reply' button - there you will find a paperclip icon to upload pics with.
  5. patchemt

patchemt New Member

I will certainly post some pics tomorrow, I am working today and won't be able to until then. Thanks for all the help and advice.
  6. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    They used to call that old single shot, 30 inch barrel shotgun, a Long Tom. I got one for my 12th birthday! Great shooting old guns, but if you don't know for sure if it's safe to shoot, then see your nearest gunsmith. He can tell you if it's safe to shoot, or not.
  7. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

H&R made a single barrel marked Long Tom with a 36 inch barrel.