Montgomery Ward Double Barrel

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by foxriver, Dec 31, 2008.

1. foxriver

foxriver New Member

I have a 12 guage double barrel shotgun with very little markings on it. The only wording on the gun is "Montgomery Ward Co." There is a serial number stamped in three locations, 32145. I'm trying to find the munufacturer and date of this shotgun. Thanks for your help.
  2. tireman7.62x54r

tireman7.62x54r New Member

I checked the cross-reference chart on the Numrich Gun Parts site, didn't see that part number listed. Send them an Email, maybe they can help.
  3. Anchor Clanker

Anchor Clanker Member

Since the gun is a double barrel it was most likely made before 1940 before the Numrich cross reference listing started. And even if it were made after 1940 the cross reference would list either a model number or name, not the serial number
    Since I am still felling New Year cheer, I did something I don't normally do. I went through my reference book of over 600 "Trade Brand Name" shotguns and who sold them. Montgomery Ward did not make shotguns, they sold guns made for them by a major maker. Here is a listing of those "Trade Brand Names" and who made them for Monkey Ward. Trade Name First, Makers name second.
    Excel--Crescent Fire Arms, Iver Johnson's Arms & Cycle Works, Crescent-Davis Arms Corp.
    Hercules--Iver Johnson's Arms & Cycle Works, Stevens Arms & Tool Co
    Knockabout--Crescent Fire Arms Co, Stevens Arms & Tool Co
    Lakeside--Crescent Fire Arms Co
    Peerless and Peerless Gun--Crescent-Davis Arms Co, Savage Arms Co
    Texas Ranger--Stevens Arms & Tool Co
    Ward's Hercules--Stevens Arms & Tool Co
    Western Arms Co--Ithaca Arms Co
    Western Field--Iver Johnson's Arms & Cycle Works, Stevens Arms & Tool Co
    These are all the names I came across in a quick search (there may be more) and some of the names were used on single barrels only while others were used on doubles and some on both types.
  4. L.C. Frantz

L.C. Frantz New Member

Uuuummmmmmm.......I think you spelled Montgomery wrong. FYI.

Just kidding.