more .223 rem qiestions?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by socalfamous87, Apr 28, 2012.

1. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

No! Posting information second hand to a new reloader without first understanding it YOURSELF is......nuff said :banghead:
  2. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

Second hand? Instructions from die and press manufacturers are not only dangerous they are now considered "second hand", a he-said-she-said type of thing?

As for me not understanding it myself, Ah NO wrong. I understand it perfectly well and I use gauges to set up my FL dies for the exact shoulder bump I desire. I could go into great detail as to how I set up my FL dies with or with out a gauge, but I see no need to waist my time with you.

That said, if you want to simmer down and talk headspace and the proper way to set up an FL die, I'm more than interested in having a civil conversation with you on another thread. Start it and I will chime in.
  3. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

socal, I think the simple fix to the problem is to seat the bullets to 2.200 instead of the 2.210 that you are seating them. The Hornady manual says that the Max OAL for a 50 grain bullet it 2.200. I have never loaded the z-max for my ARs, but I do use a Z-max 40 grain bullet in the loads for my .223 Weatherby bolt action.
  4. socalfamous87

socalfamous87 New Member

so is the z-max not a good bullet for the ar15? after these problems im not sure if id ever use them again. inormallt use a 55 grain fmj with canelure. how come you dont use the z-max on your ar15's?
  5. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

The Z-Max is fine for the AR. It is basically a V-Max with a green tip instead of red. Very popular in AR type rifles. I highly doubt your choice of bullet is the problem.
  6. socalfamous87

socalfamous87 New Member

so this morning i re-sized the brass with that EXTRA 1/4 Turn. and then i seat the bullet with the OAL 2.200. i loaded a mag chambered a few rounds and it seems to chamber like butter. i feel better with the new updated rounds so i guess we will find out what happen ths weekend when i fire them. thanks again everyone
  7. langenc

langenc Member

All kinds of advice.

What medalguy in post #6 said. I use a Wilson for every caliber I load.

For the 'messed up' RCBS expander etc, call RCBS and talk nice to the lady and Ill bet she will send you one-no charge..
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  8. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

The Z-max is a fine bullet, the only reason I have not used them for my ARs is that I have thousands of 55 grain FMJ bullets already. The only reason I bought them for the Weatherby is that they were cheaper than V-max!!
  9. Regular Joe

Regular Joe New Member

I'd wager that the WHOLE problem is that you're crimping AT ALL. It's very easy to collapse the area just below the shoulder, and thus render the case unusable. There is no need to crimp with .223. Your FL sizing die provides the neck tension you need. Try a magazine of rounds that have no crimp, and measure the last one before you allow it to chamber. You'll find that the bullet has NOT moved due to recoil. If the bullet creeps out a little due to chambering, it's not going to hurt anything, unless you're beyond the max. powder charge, and using magnum primers.